When did 2.0l petrol get a chain driven cam?

Peroni

I'm (still) looking for a good 2009-13 petrol, manual Forester.

Last one I looked at had 44k miles, 2012 MY, "FSH",  and £9,250 asked. However the vendor ( an ex-Subaru franchise) and the original supplying dealer had no idea if cam belt had been done or not. My probing on this point and my lack of need for a "finance package" seems to have made the vendor dump me for another, later, customer enquiry. Very rude of them I thought.

Anyway, I'm wondering if that model year (2012) actually had a cam chain rather than a belt?  I see mention on "Honest John" web site that the 2009 revision resulted in a chain-driven cam but I can't see when, and to which engine models, it was introduced.

Anyone know when the Forester 2.0l petrol engine got a chain?

Thank you Tidgy,  

Some useful info there, for example I didn't realise that "FB" meant the 2.5 litre engine. Much of my research has been using US sites and they seem to favour the 2.5L.

So, the 2.0 litre is still getting by on a cam belt then? That at least simplifies things.  

I've been deliberately avoiding the 2.5 litre petrol engine on reports of common head gasket failure, but I still see plenty for sale at 100k + miles. Maybe I need to re-think?

22 hours ago, Wulbert said:

Thank you Tidgy,  

Some useful info there, for example I didn't realise that "FB" meant the 2.5 litre engine. Much of my research has been using US sites and they seem to favour the 2.5L.

So, the 2.0 litre is still getting by on a cam belt then? That at least simplifies things.  

I've been deliberately avoiding the 2.5 litre petrol engine on reports of common head gasket failure, but I still see plenty for sale at 100k + miles. Maybe I need to re-think?

its pure pot luck tbh, some take a beating and keep on ticking, some get babied and fail if you look at them wrong, Does mean you can pick them up cheap with a failed engine and then have engine built to your spec so no issues later.

• Like 1

fourth gen around 2013 for transition to chain .

All ealry 2.5s will have head gaskets fail at some point due to gaskets materials used and sealing area stresses of the block, oil used and service points along with usage type and long running faults like missing and fuelling make big difference. Due to boxer design oil sits around HG joint and as contains solvents and corrosives from combustion it slowly attacking the gasket and 2.5 block stresses the HG more.
Most I see are around 80 to 120k, caught early or done in advance at high mileage as a service precaution and it not overly costly. NA engines easier deal with generally .
2.5 is nice in forester but as a used reliable low hassle/cost car can be risky as could have hassle diagnosing fault, finding good garage do work & get a bill for as much as paid for the used forester.
If buy a 2'.5 be sure price was right and you fully aware repair costs and prepared to deal with it . I see lot of people who not hence why don't recommend .

• Like 1