2.0 XT Auto; What's that switch by the gear lever?

Peroni

I understand that older 2002-06, 2 litre turbo autos have no "low ratio" as such. Is that correct?

I'm wondering what the small rocker switch is that I see in pictures of cars for sale. Just to the right of the gear lever. Intriguingly, the pictures are never good enough quality for me to see the symbol on the switch. Would any older, XT auto drivers care to enlighten me?   Thanks.

Yes, Mr B. That's the switch I was talking about.  Thanks. I've still no idea what it does though... "POWER A/T, HOLD " ?

"All Terrain" ?  "Auto Transmission"?  

Is it just a sporty setting where it holds the revs for longer before the up-change?

I was hoping it might be a kind of low-ratio, slow speed thingy.  

I suppose the Autos must still have good off road and low speed capability. Subaru know what they are doing. Plenty of people seem to buy them. I prefer an auto to drive, being a lazy sod. Great in slow moving traffic. Only downside for me is extra fuel costs and maybe life span of the auto box. The ZF units fitted to Saabs ( and many other cars) seemed to get tired at about 150k miles. I've no idea what type of auto box Subaru use.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:37 PM, Wulbert said:

I understand that older 2002-06, 2 litre turbo autos have no "low ratio" as such. Is that correct?

From what I can gather - you'll only find low range on non-turbo manual cars.