4 Speed auto engine braking

Brack

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has achieved effective engine braking when going down hill with a 4 speed auto?

I've tried what it says in the handbook by going into sport mode. I stop at the top of the hill, shift into sport mode and off with the brakes but on the way down the car just speeds up as normal and I end up having to use the brakes.

It's just that I have a lot of steep hills where I live and when the snow comes engine braking comes in very handy, I cant seem to get the knack with this car (Forester SH).

Any tips would be great. 

Cheers

Brack. 

I am new to both the Forester and to CVT, and as I too live in a very hilly area I have a very similar problem. I seem to be able to overcome it and have some control by selecting manual and 1st gear. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brack said:

Thanks Andy,  does your newer car have hill descent control? 

I have intermittent hill descent control - when my wife is a passenger if the descent is too rapid there is a loud alarm that goes off 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Found the knack - just need to approach the downhill steady in say 3rd manual mode then while descending shift down into 2nd and 1st, the car takes you down slowly.

If you stop at the top and set off down in manual 1st the car just speeds up and the brakes are needed, the car doesn't seem to know you want to go down slowly in the snow (my car anyway).   

All the best

Brack

• Like 1