Legacy Diesel Cold Start Noise

Gilly

Hello to all who read this, and any advice would be much appreciated

I have just purchased a Sept 2009 59 plate Legacy Diesel Estate with 53000 mile showing on the clock.

I have started the car now on 2 cold mornings, and it sounds like a mechanic has left half his tool kit under the bonnet - if you leave it to tick over for a couple minutes, the nosie / pinking goes away.

I drove the car for about 2 miles on the first time I noted it

Once the Oil appears to get around the engine, then all is well and the car performs as you would expect

Has anybody got any idea what is causing this, or even had the same problem ????

Regards

Gilly

Hi mate welcome to the forums

Does the car run ok i.e rev problems/stall's

Have you checked the oil levels of the car ? 1st thing I would check

When did it last have an oil change ?

I would also check the belts and pulley wheels see if any of them are slack or wobble when cold

As above plus dependant on the service history you may want to consider a service with a flush - at 70k had my diesel van done using BG products flush and now run with their oil additive in with the fresh oil, it cleaned all the deposits out quietened it right down and the engine ran 15 degrees cooler.

Hello Gambit & Jay

Thank you for your comments and thoughts, I have now spoken to Subaru UK regarding this matter.  It is common for the Injectors to need re-education - basically, they forget when they are supposed to send fuel into the cylinder in relation to piston position.  It's not a long job to sort - if the re-program works full time, then about half hour

Many Thanks

Gilly

Oh relief :) least you should be sorted soon. And thank you for letting us know, least if anyone else has that problem I can pass it on as a possibility.  

feel free to upload some pictures. I like pictures :blink: