Smell in cabin

Muckytyke

Hi all, Just found this excellent forum so thought I'd try my luck with a strange problem!

I own a 2016 Forester XT which I've had for about 18 months. Overall I've mixed thoughts on the car..it's my first Subaru and the newest car I've owned but had quite a few little issues.

Anyway a problem I've had all along is a really strong smell coming into the cabin when the car is at a stop and engine idling,  (fully warmed up).

Difficult to describe but it just smells like 'engine smell' like a kind of warm oil. Not particularly like exhaust fumes, fuel or coolant. Car still under warranty still so took to a dealer who said they couldn't even smell it (of course), They said they put carbon monoxide monitor in there and picked nothing up.

But everyone who goes in the car agrees it really stinks and I'm worried what we're breathing.

FWIW the car seems to run fine and engine idles fine. No warning lights etc. Car was serviced a few months ago, got new cabin and air filters which made no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help at all.

Thanks Jay, I'll keep you posted when it's been up on a ramp.

If engine oil, must be a ver small leak as you say because it's not losing oil.

I read on a US forum that a split CV boot can throw grease onto exhaust too on these cars.

19 hours ago, Muckytyke said:

I read on a US forum that a split CV boot can throw grease onto exhaust too on these cars.

It can for the inner one, the outer ones I have had split only throw it more up the inside of the wheel

• 4 years later...
On 2/5/2020 at 10:22 PM, Muckytyke said:

Hi there, did you manage to find out what caused this? I have the exact same problem on my 2014 Subaru Forester XT.