High Mileage Engine Oil

nidgep

hi,

I'm sure this kind of question has already been asked lots of times before - but just in case opinions have changed...

I've got a 54 plate 2.5XT with 163,000 miles on it.

It doesn't cover many miles a year (<6k) but still like to use quality oil.
To date (since I've owned the car) I've been using Millers XF Longlife 5w40 and at the last oil change switched to Millers XF LongLife C3 5W30 (recommended on the Millers site).

Given the current total mileage and annual mileage what what would the recommended oil be?

Should I make any changes?

Cheers

5w40 or 10w40 on higher mileage, we have some 200K+ cars that in evaluated cases use 15w40 to balance some engine wear and give few more years potential use .
wouldn't worry to much on long life requirement as be far better change oil/filter yearly .

Millers are good oils but point is don't overspend on extending oil drain times as more regular changes are what makes the big difference to engines long term .

Many thanks for the reply @Mr B

I neglected to mention that I've changed the oil and filter every 3k-4k so at least once a year on the current usage/mileage.

I'll look to see if Millers have a comparable 15w40 oil and use that instead.

On another note, I also need to change the gearbox and rear diff oils. Can you recommend oils for those please and quantities.

Cheers

I would go 10w40 at most in your turbo fozzy and if it not using oil and engine sounds rattle/knock free then 5w40 be fine .

we used the 15w40 for scenarios of some oil burning and light engine noises where a thicker oil can add bit more protection/oil control and reduce/stop noise .

If doing bit more miles then you likely benefit doing  2 changes a year then you could use a 10w40 cover summer and 5w40 winter .

any oils from good brands like milllers castrol mobil 1 do fine, buying and stocking up on oil via eBay when they have 15 or 20% off can make oil servicing cheap for quality oil .

Thanks again @Mr B

To my limited knowledge of Subaru engines - it sounds ok to me so I'll continue to use 5W40.

Could you help with the following?

21 hours ago, nidgep said:

On another note, I also need to change the gearbox and rear diff oils. Can you recommend oils for those please and quantities.

Cheers

Get my 2T oil from Westaways, and have noticed they do all sorts, up to now for for the rest of my oils i use Exol Lubricants who have a local distribution site in the next town.

As you say MrB, there's not much point in putting Gucci oil in @ £60 a 5 litre can (unless you're racing i suppose) when its only in the engine for about 2000 miles tops, think i pay about £55 for 20 litres of full synth 5W40, and a healthy £46 for 20 litres 10w40 semi synth Diesel specific oil for my Toyota 4x4.

Can't understand people who believe this long life cobblers and leave their oil in for 20,000 miles as some european makers suggest, i'd be having nightmares about what was happening in the bearings and oilways of my motors, and often enough they don't even have a dipstick to actually see the oil, what's that all about about.

I would use this oil for your motor - interestingly I had never heard of this brand and was using Millers as a UK manufacturer, I now discover this brand located a couple of miles away from me.

Yes more than suitable for general road use .

get a 10, 15 or 20% eBay coupon and it silly cheap .
The ADL Blueprint oil filters (ADM52106) are very decent and japan made, you can get them for £3.50ish from local motor factors if you come across as trade and buy perhaps 4 or more .

We use them sometimes as local to us, although they got other premises such as in leeds .

they often in sellers for eBay coupons and work out dirt cheap on some items, my stock of kyb japan struts came from them .

you be a skilled lube tech by time used all the oil and filters, have fun with the fozzy .

• 5 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, Judd said:

Can't understand people who believe this long life cobblers and leave their oil in for 20,000 miles as some european makers suggest, i'd be having nightmares about what was happening in the bearings and oilways of my motors, and often enough they don't even have a dipstick to actually see the oil, what's that all about about.

Gear oil isn't burnt or diluted from diesel or contaminated with combustion residue so no need for a filter either. These types of gear oil are designed for extended and very long term use and still do the job. 100k mile gear oil change is fine as long as its at the right level, and that goes for autoboxes and LSD's too..  

Just changed my Corvettes LSD oil recently, first time in 150k miles. The oil that came out looked as new and fresh as when it went in. 

It still wise drain gear oils at sensible intervals mainly as good way visually see gearbox/transferbox/diff in good order and keep meshing swarf to a minimum.

some gearboxes have oil pumps and filters, all have lubrication feed wells of which stay working better in later life when been kept extra clean .

Gear oils bought in bulk packs are so cheap i can't understand anyone leaving them in past reasonable common sense intervals.

So called lifetime auto gearbox oils a case in point (typically on makes that give minimal length vehicle warranties), i always give that suggestion a good ignoring and yet to change an auto box oil and not notice improvements in smoothness.

29 minutes ago, Judd said:

Gear oils bought in bulk packs are so cheap i can't understand anyone leaving them in past reasonable common sense intervals.

So called lifetime auto gearbox oils a case in point (typically on makes that give minimal length vehicle warranties), i always give that suggestion a good ignoring and yet to change an auto box oil and not notice improvements in smoothness.

I only changed my '87 Corvettes diff oil as I wanted it to be a modern synthetic so it never needs changed again. I'll do the same for the 700R4 autobox later. 

Cost me £90 for oil and 2x required GM  LSD additive bottles.