Plug in xv hybrid

kash0613

I've noticed that the north American market has introduced a plugin variant of the xv but the UK has only the standard,not very useful,hybrid.

I personally would be very keen in the plug in version for my next Subaru so I wonder why it hasn't been introduced here or when it's coming.

I'm sure it would boost Subaru sales significantly.

I agree although I’ve driven the current hybrid model before it was launched on a test day.  Appreciated the extras and the punchier feel to the drive, but no hybrid range, just a “mild” hybrid.  I wonder how much heavier a PHEV XV would be and how on earth they’d fit a decent Battery without a major impact on boot size.  There is no doubt in my mind that the current all wheel drive might at some point have to be sacrificed for an electronic variant to reduce weight and and facilitate electric motors. Controversial I know but maybe provoke a wider discussion?

21 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I agree although I’ve driven the current hybrid model before it was launched on a test day.  Appreciated the extras and the punchier feel to the drive, but no hybrid range, just a “mild” hybrid.  I wonder how much heavier a PHEV XV would be and how on earth they’d fit a decent battery without a major impact on boot size.  There is no doubt in my mind that the current all wheel drive might at some point have to be sacrificed for an electronic variant to reduce weight and and facilitate electric motors. Controversial I know but maybe provoke a wider discussion?

They do sell the phev in the u.s so I'll try and get the figures....it's still awd.

I think a full electric version might be some way off and will probably be a clean sheet design.

I suspect Subaru won't wish to sacrifice awd in any future car though,it's a major usp for the brand but who knows?

Agreed, seen it on YouTube. The boot space pretty restricted and not a great deal of Battery range.  The boot space on the pure petrol XV is not great in my opinion, the hybrid version (UK) it is more or less level with the door sill and from what I see of the PHEV it’s much more restricted.  When I’d originally talked to the Subaru dealer about the new chassis design he’d indicated that there would be space for batteries in the floor pan but does not seem to have been correct.

i guess any amount of Battery to recover energy from breaking etc., is worth having but at what cost?  I’ve just received a £2k offer from Subaru UK against the purchase of a new XV.  Not likely to go for that right now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Agreed, seen it on YouTube. The boot space pretty restricted and not a great deal of battery range.  The boot space on the pure petrol XV is not great in my opinion, the hybrid version (UK) it is more or less level with the door sill and from what I see of the PHEV it’s much more restricted.  When I’d originally talked to the Subaru dealer about the new chassis design he’d indicated that there would be space for batteries in the floor pan but does not seem to have been correct.

i guess any amount of battery to recover energy from breaking etc., is worth having but at what cost?  I’ve just received a £2k offer from Subaru UK against the purchase of a new XV.  Not likely to go for that right now.

I'll be keeping the xv for about five years (well,that's the plan) so it would take a phenomenal offer to change that but when I do,it will undoubtedly be for a full electric car so I hope that Subaru brings out a flat 4 electric motor by then 😂

To be honest though,we have sold one of our two cars and are using the xv as our everyday,do everything,workhorse so I'm happy with our mpg to date (36 combined),I'm savings fortune already on servicing,insurance,tax etc.

By the way,I absolutely love this car,I can't find anything to dislike.

IMG_20200314_153132.jpg

The US got an eXV (or Crosstrek) in 2013, so I would guess it will be a few years before the PHEV version makes it over here. Europe, as a whole, is not a big market for Subaru so we're well down their priority list for new models, although emission legislation may force their hand. (Similarly, I'm not looking to change, despite also receiving a £2000 voucher the other day.)

I've been looking through the stats and the eXV has a fuel tank that is 15 litres smaller, with a boot that is 45 litres down, so it looks like they've had to find space for all the electrical gubbins. Seems a bit of an oversight on the new Global Platform that it wasn't hybrid-ready, especially as Subaru have had a tie-up with Toyota for many years now.

Regarding fuel economy, also found that both our cars display an MPG that is around 10% greater than what the pumps suggest. It was 23.8 MPG for the XV (no, really!!!) on the last tank (I'm putting it down to a 7-mile commute, so barely warmed up, plus defrosting time at the moment), whereas the car reckoned on 26-ish.