Getting a Key Copied

Don Logan

I got a key cut today (key only, no fob) thinking that I'd be able to use the keypad to override the immobiliser and drive using this new key if ever I lost the proper key, which I only have one of).

Turns out that I can put the code in the keypad and then use the newly cut key to start the car, but the engine then cuts out after a few seconds. This doesn't happen with the proper key (with fob), even if I let the immobiliser arm after 30 seconds of getting in and then use the code instead of the key button to start the car.

Is this the immobiliser initially being overridden with the code and then once the car is started, the alarm system looking for the fob and not finding it and switching off the fuel pump?

I'd have thought that the keypad was a substitute for the fob in this instance but it appears not. What's the point in having the keypad if not for starting the car if your fob stops working? Is it only for programming the auto arm, sensor disagreement, etc.? Is there anyway of using a fobless key with the car (2006 Forester)?

And why does no !Removed! auto locksmith copy Subaru keys?! Best I can find is someone in London and another in Scotland. I tried loads of local auto locksmith but no one can do Subaru keys. I'm going away in the car next week and didn't really want to have to send the key off in the post...

Would it be possible to buy a blank key with fob and then get it cut and also program the fob to the car using the code?

Thanks

The original key has a transponder chip in the fob and that linked to ecu immobiliser cutout that factory built in .

(Hold the original key near steering lock while have new key in ignition lock and you will see it will  keep running)

The keyfob alarm is done for Europe (meeting required security standard) and is a Sigma M30 alarm system with fob keyboard and front panel custom made for original subaru keyfob which was remote locking only in original design .

A good car locksmith can do you the transponder as well and then with key code it will work

If you want spare fob you can buy a used M30 fob off eBay and program it to car

I'll add link for M30 alarm advanced user guide later as handy thing have if you pretty new to the alarm .

Thanks. Is there anywhere you know of that sells the blank key with blank transponder, etc.?

I'm assuming I could buy a blank, get it cut at a locksmith and then program it to the car using the keypad, or does it not work like that? The only suggestions I've seen so far involve sending my only key away in the post and I'm not too keen on that idea...

you can not program transponder via keypad as transponder not part of sigma alarm, transponder works with the cars ecu .

you should find a local locksmith that will do it, some mobile ones exist too.

• Thanks 1

A work around you can do is take the transponder chip out of bottom part of your original keyfob and mount this small transponder chip to inner side of lock column plastic shroud near the transponder receiver which is obviously around the key barrel area thus eliminating need have transponders in keys .

Have done this for some owners on older models who got no interest in ecu immobiliser and just want simple low cost low hassle same day solution to adding more keys .

19 hours ago, Mr B said:

A work around you can do is take the transponder chip out of bottom part of your original keyfob and mount this small transponder chip to inner side of lock column plastic shroud near the transponder receiver which is obviously around the key barrel area thus eliminating need have transponders in keys .

Have done this for some owners on older models who got no interest in ecu immobiliser and just want simple low cost low hassle same day solution to adding more keys .

I suspect this would invalidate your insurace policy.

4 hours ago, Tidgy said:

I suspect this would invalidate your insurace policy.

you have to ideally declare it as do anything these days but generally as got twin immobiliser on the sigma S30 that legislation approved and the cars low value they don't care on low theft risk models .

I done it to a customers 2003 outback late last year and got them call insurance prior to doing it and getting bunch of keys cut .

Is a useful workaround in some situations and on older base model cars that the whole car not worth much more than pair of original keyfobs and programming .

another fairly low cost solution is pick up used complete original keyfob same 1 button style and use the transponder chip in that and get it programmed to ecu, you also got the fob that you can program yourself to the alarm via the keypad .
Transponder easy program with autel etc so pretty much most garages could do it and it don't take 30 minutes .

With little bit of effort you can cut your key down and fit it into the fob or just cut the key off the fob with small protrusion and drill a hole and put it on keyring .

You see used keyfobs around 15 to £25 on eBay which fair if it tidy order as subaru dealers price about 10x that ...

On 7/9/2020 at 11:56 PM, Mr B said:

you have to ideally declare it as do anything these days but generally as got twin immobiliser on the sigma S30 that legislation approved and the cars low value they don't care on low theft risk models .

I done it to a customers 2003 outback late last year and got them call insurance prior to doing it and getting bunch of keys cut .

Is a useful workaround in some situations and on older base model cars that the whole car not worth much more than pair of original keyfobs and programming .

aye true

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...