Apple Car Play Retrofit?

Newn

• 2 months later...

Iv got Apple car play fitted to my 99 Forester turbo S

I bought a pioneer head unit with car play, along with digital radio and hands free, the model I bought comes in either 1 Din, 2 Din or Din touch screen, I only bought it about 5 weeks ago but it did cost around the £230 mark plus digital radio antenna.

It does come with an app too to set everything up, change display, change time and date etc, the app is called pioneer smart sync, unsure of the model number but I will include a pic of it installed.

F211EBE7-F7F7-4CE2-9A38-364D31C26FFB.jpeg

My 2015 Forester had a touch screen, a reversing camera, DAB radio, Bluetooth, smart phone connection and satnav. I paid around £500 to replace all this with a touch screen, a reversing camera, DAB radio, Bluetooth, smart phone connection and satnav. What did I do that for? 

The Pioneer system I got was a direct plug and play, took around half an hour to install myself.

I am a qualified mechanic but it is all basic plug in stuff, the only thing that can be a pain is the digital aerial, that needs to have a grounding strap attached to the inside of the roof, that means I had to remove the passenger sun visor and the front passenger door trim at the top in order to fold the roof lining back to access the roof.

Most of the new head units come with an app so setting them up is easy as can be.

@Dr.Acula

I always thought a ground,is a ground.

I do not get it ?, it would not need to be in the roof, other than, if the aerial is going up there, so it would be nearer, for the path of least resistance. 

• 5 weeks later...

They call it a “grounding line” or “earth strip”
The one in the fozzy for the pioneer is sticky backed and flexible metal, the one in my Ford pick up is a nextbase antenna and has a magnet on the back attached by a thick black cable.

It is just an earth, most aftermarket DAB radios have a powered antenna, both of my radios take power from the same cable that runs from the antenna to the radio, the earth attaches to either the A pillar or the inside of the roof.

Iv attached both to the inside of the roof, just means I can mount the window part as far up into the roof lining as possible.