Rear wheel bearings

Lawso

Hi, I’ve bought a Gc8 Type Impreza 2000 turbo, uk model couple months ago, stripped and rebuilt the rear suspension after welding up the turrets. So I fitted new bushes etc and new rear wheel bearings, got them from euro car parts !Removed! brand so not the cheapest. I fitted them as I normally would using my press(no hammering) anyway they went together fine but after about 300 miles they started rumbling. Stripped them and the n/s showed signs of surface break up. So I thought maybe I should have cleaned the grease out that they came with or maybe I did something wrong? So changed both rears again from ECP. So checked the grease in them this time it was a bright red type but there appears to be sufficient amount so I fitted them as per instructions. All seemed fine until after about 300 miles again! They’re rumbling. So faced with the same situation and same expense I’m unsure what to do next. Can someone who has done these before successfully please supply a very detailed procedure please. I was a qualified motor mechanic for years so I’m pretty sure I’m not doing anything wrong, I’m thinking maybe the grease would be better changed on the new ones?? Any advice welcome but please only if you’ve done them yourself.

I have only ever fitted one set of gc8 rear bearings and had a local garage press them into the hubs, so only fitted the hubs really .

Cant say I've heard of this issue before but I'd imagine there's at least 2 types of rear bearings. To match either r160 or r180 types of rear diff /hub assemblies .

Are they definitely the right bearing and torque settings, not had a diff assembly swap at some point ? 

Have you measured up the hub bearing carrier , if it's out , it could  be putting pressure on the bearing casings and "nipping" the bearings?

Most use import car parts or Asperformance for cheaper genuine subaru parts 

Well I’d assume they’re right as I supplied my reg. used the correct torque setting for the hub nut. One owner car before me and he is a friend, says it’s never had any diff work. Only difference from the original bearings and the new ones was a recessed area in the middle of the outer race(external) originals had it new ones didn’t.

Might be the bearing cases are being pinched , as I say I haven't heard of this happening before .

I can see if I can find r160 rear hub dimensions in the services manual at the weekend if you want ? 

Otherwise I'd suggest to buy the bearings from Asperformance,  as he'll know exactly what ones suit your car and always supplies tried n tested parts 

I had same issue years ago, but it was the n/s front bearing that kept on failing. But mine only did about 50miles.  

After the second 50mile failure I got my money back from e.c.p. 

I bought from i.c.p & it's still on there now years later.  

Just ring up luke at import. He'll sort u out😉

• Like 1