Exhaust issue.

MarkD33

Hello everyone. Just the forum and looking for some advice. I have a 54 plate Outback 2.5 petrol (non turbo). 

Last night whilst driving, the straight pipe that connects the midbox to the cat has sheared completely off of its flange. Is it possible to get a new piece of pipe with the flange already on it and then cut into the pipe and fit a coupler sleeve? 

If this can be done, does anyone know where i find out the diameter of the pipe required?

Thanks.

See pictures attached.

exhaust1.jpg

flange.jpg

cat.jpg

you can but easiest solution is something like this .
s-l1600.jpg

use a bit of pu40 adhesive on the joint lap pipe faces and you done for £15 inc tube of sealant .

do the flange properly be more expensive as need gasket and proper spring tension bolts(yours didn't have them and that helped it fail as joint too rigid)
The 2 slip joints on the joiner will allow some flex/movement thus will last well .
I done plenty of these, on the cats where flange tight to cat we used repair flanges, it ups cost as normally cat flange needs replacing as well (weld new flange plate on) and you got add cost of proper hardware and gaktet .

I've had the slip joiners in use over 5yrs on regular customer cars and no issues, size around 50 to 55mm fit a lot of models but check both sides with caliper or string or 2 bits of baton screwed to another piece of timber make a caliper you can set then measure caliper gap with ruler .
and search eBay for exhaust pipe connect and your size, you want longer one like pic so can loose flanges and reduced bad pipe section .