Forester windshields

Michael Shorter

Damaged windshield to 2019 Forester e-boxter. 

Are you having problems with your windshields?  I have a 2019 E-boxter Forester (3800 miles) and screen was hit with a small item causing a crack right across the centre.  Now has to be replaced. OK insurance job but have to pay £125 premium. However I am surprised that the screen didn't absorb the impact, which has happened on previous cars, with no damage to the screen.  However a darker side to this problem, seems that there have been MANY such recorded incidents with Subaru windscreens in the US, to such an extent that legal action is being taken against Subaru. Indeed often cracks appear in the screen (between the layers) for no apparent reason.

Have any other owner been afflicted with their windscreens. Part of the problem may be that the screen has some property that reduces noice in the vehicle, thus causing some change to the structure of the glass.

In addition, when the windshield has to be replaced, the EyeSight system has to be re-calibrated at a cost to owner of some £250.

Any update/info would be appreciated.

Michael Shorter

• 10 months later...

I also have 2019 Forester e-Boxer and guess what? The windscreen is cracked! I thought it was an average pebble, nothing happened straight after the impact. I must admit though it was a hot day, I left the car standing in the Sun on the green for a day, then draw about 10 miles and parked in the shade in the off road parking. In the morning I found the window covered in dew and a feet long crack... It was in August! Still got the cracked windscreen. My insurance asked for £115 and directed me to Autoglass... What a bunch of... they are...

First available slot was after a month. I have arrived half an hour earlier... They took the car, reversed it in and came to me in less than 10 minutes to tell me that they got the glass but doesn't have the moulding. They said that someone who ordered the glass didn't ordered the moulding, but they said there is a moulding in stock at the warehouse and they could get if for appointment in four days. Which I have agreed on. Three days later some lady called and told me that there is no moulding and not to come tomorrow for my appointment. She also told me she has no clue when they will have the moulding. Still waiting for the windscreen to be replaced. I have called the Subaru UK and was told that there is no windscreens in UK at the moment... Nice!

Really sorry to hear that - what a !Removed! ( word removed! was .. an adjective, blood·i·er, blood·i·est.

stained or covered with blood: a bloodX handkerchief.
bleeding)

pain. I need access to a car everyday living in a rural spot so at least I'd hope for a courtesy vehicle.

I'd also read on a US Subaru owners' website that there have been issues with 'weak' windscreens.  It was posited in one thread that the screen is 'thinner' in places to accommodate the Eyesight system to function more accurately.  Not sure how true that is.  But I understand that Eyesight also needs to be recalibrated when a new screen is fitter.

Subaru windscreen cost

Regarding access to Subaru spares, I've been unable to get hold of a new set of steel wheels any-time-soon, or even Subaru wheel nuts as apparently these have to be ordered directly from Japan and shipping takes weeks (months?), especially with the current global supply issues.  I guess that owning a brand of car that has relatively low sale figures in the UK also impacts on the availability of spares.

Update... 

Spoke to Subaru Woodford today, they have contacted the Subaru UK. They've been told that there are 10 windscreens arriving to UK on 22nd. of October. The retail price of the windscreen, to get it directly from the Subaru UK, is £860+VAT (20% = £172) + £250 (recalibration of the EyeSight) = Total of whooping £1282 and this is without the replacement labour cost...

So make sure that the windscreen replacement is included in your insurance policy!

An Autoglass called me today as well and asked me to book the windscreen replacement... Well, until it is all done I do not believe it. 

Another thing which really bothers me is that there is no spare wheel in e-Boxer and no solutions available in UK due to low sales I guess.

In US they somehow are more savvy about all the mods and accessories. But then Subaru for the US is a different story all together...

I am always afraid to take the long journey... What will I do when I get the flat tire (and I will, just a question of time) in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the rainy night?

34 minutes ago, Peyo said:

Update... 

Spoke to Subaru Woodford today, they have contacted the Subaru UK. They've been told that there are 10 windscreens arriving to UK on 22nd. of October. The retail price of the windscreen, to get it directly from the Subaru UK, is £860+VAT (20% = £172) + £250 (recalibration of the EyeSight) = Total of whooping £1282 and this is without the replacement labour cost...

So make sure that the windscreen replacement is included in your insurance policy!

An Autoglass called me today as well and asked me to book the windscreen replacement... Well, until it is all done I do not believe it. 

Another thing which really bothers me is that there is no spare wheel in e-Boxer and no solutions available in UK due to low sales I guess.

In US they somehow are more savvy about all the mods and accessories. But then Subaru for the US is a different story all together...

I am always afraid to take the long journey... What will I do when I get the flat tire (and I will, just a question of time) in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the rainy night?

Thanks for the update.  I'm pleased that you managed to source a new screen, but geez that is expensive.  I guess you also have the heated element too (?) which maybe adds to the cost.  Yes, insurance cover is certainly the way to go, and now I also understand why my insurance premium was £100 extra when i changed it from Skoda to Subaru, despite the latter having a better suite of safety equipment. 

I really liked the overall look of the Forester when I considered buying a new vehicle in April, but the OB was the only new Subaru that took a full size spare wheel.  I also found out that the e-boxers XV and Forester have much reduced fuel tank capacities which was the final straw.  It's a shame Subaru UK aren't selling the new non-e Foresters they have elsewhere.

I know there's some comfort in having a spare, especially if you live in a rural area and/or do some light off-roading, but to be fair while I've had a spare in my last 3 cars and have covered some 150,000 plus miles in that time, I only needed to use the spare once (now that's really tempting fate!!!).  Also, given the need to have all tyres matching on an AWD, I'd never use the 'tyre repair' gunk as that would ruin the tyre (I beleive most garages refuse to clean them out) and result in having to buy 4 new matching tyres.  Much better to call the AA for a tow and hope the punctured tyre can be fixed and so avoid the added expense.

Once I have managed to get two flat tires in a week... Since then I must have a spare wheel on the ready. I must be able to sort the flat wheel out myself in 15 minutes rather than waiting for someone to come in 5 hours with the wrong tire...

Despite the absence of the spare wheel, the 48 ltr. fuel tank, the week windscreen, the week main Battery, the underpowered engine, the Forester is extremely pleasant to drive. All I need is to sort out the spare wheel problem, for that I will need to install the roof basket... get five 17" wheels and new tires. It will take some time, but it will be done. I wanted to drive to Europe, for the holiday, but left it behind because of the spare wheel... Came back after 4 weeks and found flat Battery... Yet another week spot of e-Boxer. Sometimes I ask myself if this car is for me? But then I go for a drive and yeah, this is my car and I like it a lot.

2018 forester xt, small stone created minuscule crack top of screen. By that evening the chip/crack was 300mm long - gutted ! 
insurance company preferred repairer at £125.00 cost was national windscreen, after a bit of Googling and a visit the replacement screen wouldn’t be genuine and read a lot of issues with subarus ending up with damaged trims and heater elements not working !

have taken the hit and decided to use a Subaru dealer who does use a third party but are recommended for Subaru screens and it will be original replacement at cough, cough £1000

1 hour ago, Richardw said:

2018 forester xt, small stone created minuscule crack top of screen. By that evening the chip/crack was 300mm long - gutted ! 
insurance company preferred repairer at £125.00 cost was national windscreen, after a bit of Googling and a visit the replacement screen wouldn’t be genuine and read a lot of issues with subarus ending up with damaged trims and heater elements not working !

have taken the hit and decided to use a Subaru dealer who does use a third party but are recommended for Subaru screens and it will be original replacement at cough, cough £1000

Sorry to hear that.  Will your insurance company contribute to the cost?

Subaru UK don't seem to have their own motor insurance scheme such as Skoda UK (finance) have for their vehicles, guaranteeing original parts. 

Yeah, worth a go.  My insurance company (M&S) has a note about using 'not insurance company preferred repairers' and asks for two quotes (so you could phone two Subaru dealers and ask for an emailed quote).  Also, remind the insurance company that the insurance premium on the Subaru takes into account the safety 5 stars rating etc. and the windscreen and the gubbings (like EyeSight) is an important part of that.  Do they want you and your family to be driving around in a less than specified safe vehicle if they insist you go for the cheapo option?

Very good thought, luckily no iSight just rain sensor and wiper elements. Would be coughing more with calibration reading some threads ! Or if I had isight do you know if it needs calibrating or is that just a money spinner ?

According to the Subaru eyesight manual it needs to be recalibrated after replacement of the windscreen.  Apparently, it can also be affected by lifting or lowering the suspension, certain non-standard tyre profiles (including flats 😉 ), snow chains and the like.

I read somewhere that different qualities of windscreen glass has different qualities of refraction and that this needs to be taken into account too s part of the recalibration process.  Sometimes, I really miss the simplicity my old, 1963, 6 volt VW Beetle 😞 tsk!