speedo cable

robcfc

Hi people, ive just bought a 94 wrx wagon gc8 this is my first subaru so havent got a clue really, ive got a couple problems first being speedo cable. The speedo was bouncy when I drove it back from Birmingham to Plymouth and check engine light came on a few times, it felt like it was holding back when light was on, I took the clocks out yesterday to see if cable had come away from the clocks but couldn't really tell, then when I put it all back I have no speedo at all! Is a new cable a easy job or garage job? Other thing the boost gauge is set to 1.75 bar is this ok ? And how do I turn it down ? Any help will be much appreciated guys thank you

Wotcha and welcome :)

the speedo bouncing may not necessarily be the cable as it could be the wheel turning the cable is missing some teeth check the other end as well before changing the cable as it may not fix it

1.75 bar is about 25 psi which I would say is high for a standard car - I would expect about 0.8 - 1 on boost

Is it constantly sat at 1.75 or is that what it tops out at when on boost?

There is will be an over boost protection on the car which may be linked to the check engine light - that I would expect to be set at 1.2 or so for a standard car which would hold the engine back to protect it

To turn boost down you can adjust the actuator which sets what pressure the turbo will be allowed spool up to - simple device uses a spring and lever, when pressure exceeds spring tension valve opens and stops over pressurisation

hope this helps but I could do with a few more details about the tune of the car, service history, engine mods etc

• Like 1

Hey welcome to S.O.C

Did the person who owned it before put manual boost controller on like this rubbish spring thing that people put on

Best way to fry your car these

I would check in the engine bay have a good look around. And remove it or lower the valve.

jeez - just watched that vid, or alternatively if you really want to do that you could just change the actuator setting, stronger spring higher boost required to open wastegate - what a con!

Thanks for the replys guys. The boost gauge is a cabon looking thing and it starts at 0.5 bar in colour green and goes up to 1 bar in colour red, bloke I bought it from said its running about 1.75. When I put my foot down the gauge just hits the red until change gear. Its got a induction kit on it forge dump valve and upgraded fuel pump and blitz exhust cat back. Thats all I know and its a gf8 not gc8 just checked the vin plate thing! Sorry for sounding proper thick but never had 1 of these before lol

no such thing as daft question - always better to check I say

nice set of mods there but they wouldn't up the boost just air flow in and out of engine plus ensure enough fuel to provide right mixture with increased flow rate.

As Gambit has mentioned have a check by the turbo to see if there is any form of boost controller attached

Cheers lads il let you know how I get on next week.simon do u know if ap motors in Plympton are any good mate? Used aj many years ago but found him abit hard work. Appreciate the help guy thank you

Jeez Simon has another person to paint there toe nails now :D

Your more then welcome and my gauge and others should read a  -0.5 or be below at idle, before revving then build up I have 2.5 bar at full boost I have seen it go to 3 before but not sure if that was because I had just fit it. You might find to be the air hose going to the gauge. But as said before if unsure get it checked out. If there good they shouldn't charge you to look at it.

Jeez Simon has another person to paint there toe nails now :D

I have 2.5 bar at full boost I have seen it go to 3 before

!Removed! ell - that's 36 - 43 psi that is quite the boost level

got this table from another scooby site - it is for standard models though giving fuel cut out levels etc

scoobyboost_zps746eed20.jpg

• Like 1

I just used AJs place, yeah they are hard work must admit like talking to a goat, however they do know what they are doing... have you got a full decat on the car, that could cause the engine light to come on, i doubt by the sounds of things that it has a standard pipe on it, best of luck... so thats 2 in Plmyouth and one web toed resident iv seen on here, anywonder he wants to pain your nails

!Removed! ell - that's 36 - 43 psi that is quite the boost level

got this table from another scooby site - it is for standard models though giving fuel cut out levels etc

scoobyboost_zps746eed20.jpg

I have a few mods and bigger turbo what more can I say lol. It's my baby :D

And rubix it must be a Cornwall thing. :)

No its got a blitz exhust from the cat back. Also I had to take the negative off the Battery on Wednesday night because the stupid Clifford kept going off and since then the check engine light hasnt come back on but ive read that it may of reset ecu and will probably come back on soon! But thats to do with speedo not working I think.

Not sure about the oil change I have done mine all myself from the 1st car. Did pay for a BMW once just because I was there was £35 mates rates.

And cam belt I will direct you to another post with the info there :D

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/258-impreza-turbo-2000/?hl=cambelt

And yes never boost it before it's warm. I even let mine warm up in the mornings before driving :)

And depends on how hard you have driven I could show you on anther post about the same thing :)

But normal driving I give it 30 seconds. Hard driving/track days I give it 10 minutes

• Like 1