How does the speedometer cluster come out

Bouncer

Of a 95 wrx....the surround came off easy and got the 4 screws that them on, but when I go to pull them out they only move about an inch, and you cant get your hand inn behind to feel or disconnect anything....Gambit, Jay, Miggs....help! ....I'm changing the bulbs from chavvy blue to original

i had a simular problem when i changed to white dials and blue bulbs. turn out someone had put the white over the black dials instaed of replaceing black with white so the light did not pass thru the facia. once i took off the black all was good and i too have too take off lower dash above the pedal and put hand up that way

• Like 1

Ok thanks, mine's standard black though, bulb wise I had a blue, a red, a clear then nothing, god know what was going on, all the originals were in the glove box....I'll have another look at tomorrow, but I'm really buggered. If I saw something obvious, it'd be different, see what happens.

Yea, never had a cable like that before, I prefer the clocks from the 98 sport ie the fuel and temp at the left....plus because it's a UK spec, you get a wee digital above them, you get bugger all in the wrx, which I think's bollox!

lights changeing color is fkd LED bulbs, i had that problem in mine not sure if its caused by bad voltage or just buggered bulbs but changed mine for brand new set and cured it. tho with leds they only work one way if rotated 360 they dont work.. go for a complete new set of bulbs and check what like the back of the facias is like too. hope this helps.

• Like 2

I've got 8 originals and they're fine, the ones with the turquoise rubber covers and light up green , it was after putting 6 in (3 each for speedo and rev) the speedo was brighter, so sapped them, speedo's still brighter. It's either a connection fault or something blocking it

I'd think it'd be a connection issue myself, I took the green caps off so I have brighter clocks, one of mine is slightly dimmer but as there's no caps it's not bothering me at night, also I go up under the dash for messing with the clocks

Just thought i'd say.....when out tonight, I noticed that the brightness of the speedo's to bright compared to the rest of them, so there must be something wrong with it.....don't know how to dull it down to the same as the rest though

if you had the later clocks with the temp and fuel dials both on the left i have a set of them in the garage you could have had, it means rewiring the loom behind the dash and replacing the dash for the later one too though i believe other wise i'd have done it to mine lol

I'd thought about doing that ie taking them from the 98 and puting them in the wrx, but I'm not good with wiring, certainly not as complex as that, plus I was looking at someone's posts in the States that changed their dash like that, my god :o . I've changed one before on a older Saab 9000 a few years ago, but that was because it a horrible grey I didnt like and put a black one in, that was bad enough, but having to change mounts ect....that's scary

tis a pita just for the little differences you get, id do it if i was doing other expensive stuff to the car but i think i'll be getting rid of this at some point so i don't want to go overboard spending on it for someone else to enjoy the rewards