04' Impreza WRX brake queries

Good morning all,

As a new owner I have a load of questions to ask but will start off with the most important for now as the front pads are due a change.

The brake feel is very different in this car from the other 2 I own. Harder pedal with a lot less travel. Is this to do with the level of servo assistance or just how the Impreza is set up? They have to be worked quite hard in my opinion.

It could be that I am coming from slightly newer more comfort focused cars (06' E90 325i and 07' Audi TT) and the contrast is noticeable.

The seller also mentioned Subaru used harder pads, is this correct? And could it be that the pad needs a bit more heat in them?

I'd like to put a better pad on the fronts, flush old fluid, stick some fresh ATE Typ200 fluid in at the least and possibly get braided lines.

Any suggestions on pads and what lines to go for would be much appreciated! HEL lines obviously spring to mind, but I have never owned a Jap car so wondering if there is a better tried and tested alternative.

I read about StopTech street pads as an option, but again, not done much more searching as of yet.

Thanks for your time,

R

It's nothing to do with the pads, it's underservo'd, basicly there isnt as much additional pressure from the braking system so you have to put more force yourself.

First thing to bear in mind is alot of brake disks are all the same and just stamped with a different brand

What you go for really depends on budget, decent set of mintex disks and ferodo ds2500 pads is a good combo, but tbh personaly i'd be looking at upgrding the calipers to some AP's (brembo's off an sti are an option, but they wont fit under wrx wheels so doesn't work out that much cheaper than the AP's), i found the WRX brakes to be pretty inadequate as a setup even with uprated pads and disks

Thanks for the reply Tidgy. I've only just spotted the Impreza subforum. I imagine I'm better off posting in there. Any chance this topic can be moved over to there with the help of a moderator?

9 hours ago, Ryu44 said:

Thanks for the reply Tidgy. I've only just spotted the Impreza subforum. I imagine I'm better off posting in there. Any chance this topic can be moved over to there with the help of a moderator?

moved for you 🙂