2.0 4 cyl or 3.0 6 cyl Outback

Hi all, I am looking at two petrol Outbacks for sale. Both have 130k miles on them, but one is a 4 cylinder and the other a 6 cylinder. They are £500 difference in price. 

2004 Outback: 2.0 non-turbo 4 cylinder (cam-belt has been replaced), 130k miles.

2008 Outback: 3.0, 6 cylinder (has not had cam-chains replaced), 130k miles. 

Wondering which one would be the better choice for reliability, maintenance, petrol, etc. Any thoughts would be helpful, thank you!

2.0 NA is a heavy car for the power of the engine so if you want to tow anything dont look at the 2.0. As both are NA reliability should not be an issue as long as serviced regularly. My 2.0NA has not missed a beat. I did over spec on the belt though so no chance of it failing.

4 hours ago, bjb1865 said:

Hi all, I am looking at two petrol Outbacks for sale. Both have 130k miles on them, but one is a 4 cylinder and the other a 6 cylinder. They are £500 difference in price. 

2004 Outback: 2.0 non-turbo 4 cylinder (cam-belt has been replaced), 130k miles.

2008 Outback: 3.0, 6 cylinder (has not had cam-chains replaced), 130k miles. 

Wondering which one would be the better choice for reliability, maintenance, petrol, etc. Any thoughts would be helpful, thank you!

2008 will be costlier running costs and tax but assuming service records support it, more reliable. Cam chains on this engine are non replacement items unless faulty so no worries there about them not having been replaced. To some extent, it depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Drive both and see what you think - big performance difference for one.

If it 2.0 it won't be an outback it will be a Legacy Estate .
On the Outback best engine is the 3.0 without doubt , preferably earlier the better .
The 6 cylinders are subarus best .
Plenty good examples around and now winter mostly over the prices go low and market for 3 litre auto estates not great, you do find lot of very clean examples about if look hard and can travel couple hundred miles (potentially troublesome times go buying due to covid restrictions)