Impreza GT engine skipped timing

So I want a subaru, and in portugal they are not cheap, so I intend to buy one that the engine skipped timing and fix it myself.

I have some basic knowlege of mecanic. I rebuild a 1.1l SOHC fiat engine, so I know the basics.

I've been seaching and I would like to know if an engine that skipped timing is a total gonner. It sounds strage that you need a complete new engine.
Is the engine totaly gone it the pistons bent the valves? Just replacing them is not enough?

I saw on some old post that skipped timing people would get a new engine.

I dont mind opening the engine and give it a full rebuild.

is the block and pistons in risk of being completly trash?

EJ's are "interference engines " in other words the pistons will contact the valves and valves will contact each other ,if cam and crank are turned independently. 

Tbh it depends if it's just skipped a few teeth on the belt , it might be ok .

If its completely snapped the belt and done a few rotations, its probably at least bent the valves .

You could try setting the timing Mark's and fitting a new belt , then turning the engine over a few rotations by hand . If it turns over without locking up , do a compression test to see if the valves are returning into their seats (not bent) and it hasn't damaged a piston crown .

If compression is good , plug the ignition fuse back in and see it it will run .

If not unfortunately, you'll only really know the full extent of the damage , once the engines stripped 

• Like 1

That depends on how bad the damage is and you won't know until its stripped .

Worst case top end is probably valves bent ,head chambers pitted ,valve guides need replacing . So a expensive fix and probably better off sourcing new heads (engineers labour would be more than heads are worth) 

Bottom end ... it a bit of valve has come off and got Trapped between piston crown and cylinder head ..

Bent rods ,knackered crank, piston crowns damaged... the list goes on pending on how bad the damage is .

I'd add the price a second hand good running engine supplied and fitted to the car cost, as a bear minimum .

As it's often a cheaper route if budgets tight and if it works out too expensive. Walk away and save for a running scooby .

Tbh bud we could guess what's wrong all day but until you've found out if the compression is good (cheap fix) 

Or If the Compression is bad and its stripped down , nobody knows what's fubared and what's not 

I see, I would not think that it could damage the crank and rods that badly. 

The car is really cheap, less that half of a running One (and is not garanted that it would have a good engine), so i guessed that buing one and fixing it would be much cheaper. A second hand engine is 1.5k euros... There are not that many, Will see if i can check some stuff when i go see the car