Just bought a 2012 Subaru XV 2.0 - my first one! Advice sought.

NewXV2012owner

Hello, 

I've just purchased a 2012 Subaru XV petrol 2.0 automatic - my first Subaru. Wondered if I may ask the forum what advice you might have for me? I've read through some of the forums which has been useful. Just wondered if there was anything I should be on the look out for, or recommended upgrades? It has 44k miles and is in great condition all round. As they say, 'you don't know what you don't know'!

Thanks

Mike

Same as any car if you want it to last, here's my suggestion this is what i do to all my vehicles.

Service it as if its never been serviced properly before, it's my experience that most vehicles never get serviced as they should, it may not have seen a gearbox oil change and who knows if the diff oils were all changed, then full strip clean and lube up with the correct grease of the brakes, brake fluid flush and coolant renewal.

If we ever get global warming (the warm bit that is not the green tax scam) and this winter finally ends, once the salt has been washed away by the late spring downpours give the under side a damn good wash down and then apply some decent rustproofing product to the subframes and suspension parts, what you do about cavity and nook and cranny rustproofing of the bodyshell is up to you.

Enjoy your new car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 10:08 PM, Judd said:

Same as any car if you want it to last, here's my suggestion this is what i do to all my vehicles.

Service it as if its never been serviced properly before, it's my experience that most vehicles never get serviced as they should, it may not have seen a gearbox oil change and who knows if the diff oils were all changed, then full strip clean and lube up with the correct grease of the brakes, brake fluid flush and coolant renewal.

If we ever get global warming (the warm bit that is not the green tax scam) and this winter finally ends, once the salt has been washed away by the late spring downpours give the under side a damn good wash down and then apply some decent rustproofing product to the subframes and suspension parts, what you do about cavity and nook and cranny rustproofing of the bodyshell is up to you.

Enjoy your new car.

Good advice. Thanks