Really need some advice please!

Forester Mad

Hello everyone,

Just joined the club and was hoping someone could offer some advice about a potential new (old) Forester that I am thinking of buying. I currently own an '04 Forester 2.0lx wit the All Weather Pack, manual transmission. I've had the car for 10 years and absolutely love it to bits...quite literally to bits, as the corrosion on the rear subframe and wheel arches has now become too bad to have fixed. We live in a remote, off road location with pretty harsh winter conditions and our best efforts to keep the car well maintained have not prevented the rust setting in.

So, I have had to accept that my poor Fozzy has had it's day...

I am now looking at a 2004/5 2.0l XT Forester with automatic transmission, petrol engine. Mileage is 155000 BUT it does have a full Subaru service history and it currently lives in inland England away from coastal air and salty roads. Only 2 owners from new and very well maintained. 

I'd really appreciate any information anyone can offer on this model and year. Never had an automatic car before and I wonder if I'll regret getting one now? Is it a basic 4-speed auto? Not CVT, I think? I am reasonably confident that this is a good car, haven't seen it yet as it is 400 miles away but seller seems dead honest and will be sending photos of the underneath. 

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi, did you buy it? 

I like the 4 speed auto box but then again I'm strange lol. It's a strong box, it has to be it works hard.

Up hills it will annoy you by changing down and up like a yo yo - best in sport mode for hills, it will hold 3rd for for longer  - fuel economy, well there is no economy - I get 21.9 mpg around where I live (hilly) and not much more on a run but I still love the thing 🙂  

• 7 months later...

Hello Brack,

REALLY sorry for the long delay in replying! Didn't come back and check for replies, silly me!

Well, I did end up buying the 2004/5 XT and had it transported up from England. What a car! Showroom condition (almost). Really loved the car but have this week I have sold it, after an awful lot of deliberation and soul-searching. The reasons I came to that sad decision were mainly the fuel economy (lack of, I should say!) and also that I found that the auto transmission made the car such a relaxing and comfortable experience to drive that I was almost nodding off at times. Have decided that I much prefer the manual version. The final decision maker was that the car was in such superb condition that we felt that hammering it up and down our track on a daily basis and driving it on these salty, snowy, icy roads was simply going to wreck the car and that would have been such a shame.

We've got hold of a 2005 XE in much less good overall condition and I will be much happier using that as our workhorse.

Thank you so much for your original reply.

p.s....don't suppose you happen to know where I could find an auto-dimming compass mirror for the Forester? I had kept one from my first ever Forester, and put it on the XT. Meant to take it off before I sold the XT but forgot and now can't find another....🙄

Hi again, really pleased you found a Forester that your happy with in the end 🙂 

I had a look on eBay for the mirror that you want - I can only find ones in America though, heafty postage from there. I've never heard of those mirrors, interesting.  

All the best