Subaru Legacy TDI stutter at 1600-200 rpm

vebjornlarsen

Hi. My 2010 Subaru Legacy TDI has developed a stutter at 1600-2000 rpm. It is better at operating temperature than cold. The stutters happen about twice a second, and vary a bit in strenght. At the worst, the whole car is jumping. This only happens when golding steady speed. It disappears at once when accelerating. Idle sounds fine, and car pulls fine. There is also a lot of blowing noise fron the turbo, and a warning light for the DPF has come and gone after some hard driving to rempve it. No other warning lights. Bad Egr-valves usually comes with warning lights, don't they? Faulty injectors? What could it be?

Wotcha and welcome - I am not familar with the Subaru diesel plant but at thise revs I woudl check the MAF also have any codes been generated - they dont all trigger a warning light. Blowing noise from the turbo means you could have a split pipe somewhere

Had hesitation at these revs and very similar symptoms in my 2litre Na petrol and cleaning the MAF helped a lot. Did it a couple of years ago and it’s just starting again intermittently so will be cleaning it again shortly. 

Will try cleaning the MAF. No warning lights yet, other than DPF that cleared after hard driving. I havent checked for codes, as my reader doesn't accept Subaru... Hoping it's just a simple cleaning job, as i don't have the time nor money to change injectors due to renovating... Any idea what i have to remove to get at the MAF on this model? Thanks for the replies 😊

On the petrol it’s just on the intake pipe after the filter box held in with 2 security screws.

Other things I did prior to cleaning the MAF was spark plugs, cleaning throttle body and cleaned EGR. 

EGR valve might want a clean anyway no idea if it would bring up a warning light but might not hurt to do it, our lass had a golf tdi and the thing got rotten with soot and packed in with the buildup.