First subaru so don't know if this is normal

scott38

Hi guys, bought my first ever subaru so made it a 2008 wrx and because I've always owned Hondas I'm not used to some characteristics of this car. Is the following normal-

Clutch pedal is harder to press down than any car I've ever driven before and when the car is idling it's almost like there is a flat spot? Kind of erratic idling? I was thinking that this was because of the boxer engine but it's all new to me and was wondering if you guys could put my mind at ease a bit.

Other than that it brings a Christmas morning grin to my face everytime I get in it :)

Hi mate I think the clutch is fine. I've got used to it :D but they are tough from memory when I 1st got in and drove it. And with the revs is it nearly stalling out when it does it ? 

if it is I would say it's idle control valve.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply :)

It doesn't stall but just feels kinda 'lumpy', like it's not getting enough fuel or it's going to stall but then the ecu takes over and stops it. Crap description eh lol. It might be a characteristic of this engine perhaps but with only ever driving Hondas it's not something I'm used to. I find it odd that it ticks over at 500rpm too, I'm guessing that's normal too. I'll try to stop worrying about unless it starts to stall.

Thanks for the info on the clutch, I'll start back at the gym to work on my left leg lol!

Just drive more you will need the money from the Gym membership ;) I would look at the MAFS (mass air flow sensor) too I meant to put that in the other post they are common to fault and give bad idle 

• Like 1

Wotcha and welcome - all normal stuff - the clutch is a little heavier than the honda car examples and they do idle lumpy, mine gives a little shudder every few revs, I have read that equal length manifold pipes will make it smoother and sound more like an inline four engine but not tried it myself

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, car sounds just like a normal subie to be fair, my air filter makes a noise like death video breathing in, if I let off the throttle slowly the dump valve sounds like him breathing out lol