Forester replacement parts / engine throttle fault

My 6 year old Forester has lately developed intermittent starting problems with no apparent cause (i.e. one day it won't start, next day its fine. Once it has decided to start it then runs perfectly normally.) I've made copious use of the AA's services including full recovery (I congratulate the AA for always turning up quickly, and being very helpful.)

Just had the news from my dealer that the car needs a replacement throttle unit. 

OK, but - the cost of that will likely be "well over £500".

Even worse is that apparently the throttle is one of those parts that 'never go wrong' and consequently there's no stock immediately available. It's been placed on back order but it could be weeks before the part turns up.

In the meantime I'm reduced to slumming it in my wife's Suzuki Swift (actually it's not a bad car really)

ideal candidate for a used part, likely get one in 2 to 3 days and only be around £100 ish .
Why waste perfectly good money and material resources on new when can do your wallet and the world a favour salvaging genuine used parts .

12 hours ago, Mr B said:

ideal candidate for a used part, likely get one in 2 to 3 days and only be around £100 ish .
Why waste perfectly good money and material resources on new when can do your wallet and the world a favour salvaging genuine used parts .

Nice idea but at the moment the garage won't do that, and I'm well past the days when I'd tackle it myself..