Legacy Idle

milkybar

Hi

Just bought a Legacy 2.0 petrol with fresh MOT but got it delivered and it idles like a ******.

The fuel level light was on so i filled with fuel, i've gone through an 'idle re-learn' procedure which started well , cold engine, but then got worse and worse.

I'm thinking it's the throttle body needing a good clean. Besides idling it runs really quite well. First Subaru, i'm otherwise impressed.

Going to clean throttle, change plugs and leads.

Any advice.

108,000 miles, no record of cambelt change............ whats the going rate for that at a Subaru garage?

ta

Milky

The 'snorkle' that attaches to the throttle body, from the air filter, was creased and partially folded over/rolled. Not a full on air leak but a possibility.

The throttle body itself was filthy, very black and oily.

Is there a parts diagram available somewhere ?

Did the idle re-learn, marginally better,,,,,,maybe.

Plugged OBD in and ohhhhhhhhhh

There's a difference or error in camshaft position relative to the crankshaft...... at best thats a stretched cambelt

It's getting changed at local Subaru Garage (£345 which was reasonable i thought) on Tuesday, fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped the coils/plug caps on units 2 and 4.

Used SureFire that were supposed to be 'good' and instantly developed a missfire on 2 and 4.

As the coils removed looked ropey i bought 2 used but good coils from the bay.

Fitted and the missfire went away again.

2.CHECK INTAKE OIL CONTROL SOLENOID LH.

Check the intake oil control solenoid LH. Oil Control Solenoid > INSPECTION

Is the intake oil control solenoid LH normal-

Diagnostic Procedure with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) > DTC P0018 CRANKSHAFT POSITION - CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION BANK 2 SENSOR A

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't had a chance to work on the car for a while. Back home soon. I have had the pleasure (?) of banging my head against a brick wall trying to find relevant service / manuals while i've been away. The 2.0 single AVCS is a difficult beastie to find info on, just my luck

• 7 months later...

Yeah, there's twin AVCS, doh, off course.

Changed one (pasenger side UK) and made a hell of an improvement. Engine Warning light now out. Drives so much better but........not perfect, suffers from kangaroo petrol a low load/revs.

Removed the 'dud' valve, ultrasonic cleaned it, it was a bit sticky. Put it in to the drivers side and immediately was **** again. Replaced the orginal in that side.Think i'll need to buy another one to get totally sorted. Gave up wasting time on the 'bay and got genuine from local delear

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, removed the throttle inlet snorkle.

turned on ignition. Throttle boddy whines, sounds like electrical pain.

use a lump of wood on the accelerator peddle. Throttle opens. Still whines, not consistent. Touch the circular disc that rotates and its vibrating at some sort of hi pitched frequency.

My mind says that with the engine off i should have a steady position and no noise. Hmmm