The main reason for having a Subaru

Judd

Yes they go well, but the main reason for having a Subaru in my humble is the handling and transmission.

Came into its own not 2 hours ago, really bright low late sun circa 1615 on the way home from work this afternoon, country road sun is at the back of me, come round a rh corner to find a Fiesta heading straight at me half on my side of the road, i expect dazzled by the sun...though driving into a low sun he should have been aware and had a clean screen etc to start with...anyhow swift left verge jobbie for me to avoid a head on smash, the Forester just took it in its stride, no drama, no fuss, helped that the Foz is so narrow.

Yes the fuel consumption isn't anything to write home about but the safety aspect of Subarus isn't stressed enough.

• Like 2

I agree - engine and transmission is awesome, very safe motor to be in - I ended up here after going to buy the missus an Audi A3 - turned up in my van long story short it was like re enacting the shopping scene from pretty woman. Then researched EVO and Impreza spoke to a friend who had owned both - Impreza easier to live with day to day found Subaru did a hatch, that was all she wrote.

Now take great joy in spanking A3's - although the new ones with some tuning are getting a bit more fiesty

• Like 1

Plus one on all of the above though can I add a couple of superficial but nonetheless important (to me) reasons:-

1. Rallying heritage. I know, I know but I was well into rallying in the McRae/Burns era, so that's kind of ingrained in me.

2. The exhaust note. Gets me every time! 😍

• Like 3

yeah the burns and mcrae subaru era was last of the great manufacturer/drivers and spectator rallying days .
My forester and outback have enabled me take diversions from collisions with ease over grass verges and pavements etc . they also do offer pretty good safety in moderate accidents .
Last time I almost had an accident due to unmarked police car going down middle of b road on a sweeping bend in fairly poor conditions almost causing me rear end car in front and suv behind me went into grass verge, I was in work diesel 206 van, if I had been in forester or outback I gone over the verge as been safest option .
In a lot of circumstances they do give you more ability and more options .

• Like 2

Totally agree with Judd and other subsequent response.

Engine and transmission in my 2018 XV is so smooth that I cannot see how this could be bettered by an EV !

I have real doubts that anything manufactured can be "carbon neutral" or "Net Zero".

Anything manufactured has a cost to the environment.

Why should I spend money on a new EV or Hybrid when I have a perfectly adequate vehicle which will last for years and years. 

1 hour ago, Chiles said:

I have real doubts that anything manufactured can be "carbon neutral" or "Net Zero".

Exactly this,while ev may not have a tail pipe it will be producing problem pollutants in its manufacture, maintenance and constant demand of grid power .

The real truth lies in analysis of birth to death of vehicle and the new stuff falls short as it consumes hell of a lot of parts and is likely have far shorter lifespan .

Batteries are far from friendly in manufacture and same for solar panels especially if consider all the open mining for raw materials, recycling batteries is difficult procedure too either in smelting or chemical leeching and it made harder by all manufacturers having secret Battery recipes that makes efficient recycling harder.
Trouble is current environmentalism is purely targetting consumer wallets, the real answers unfortunately don't make the same profits .

• Like 2