Diesel xv for miles?

Outy

Hi,

I’ve been the happy owner of a petrol auto outback for 9 years. A relaxing easy going car I’d say. Anyway, I’m going to have to start pounding motorways up to Edinburgh from the W. Mids M6 then Biggar road ( a nice “drivers” road if you know it) and diesel makes some sense. Could you owners recommend say a 2015 diesel xv for this type of journey? Edinburgh itself seems awful for driving and the master plan is to cycle to work not drive. Also asked this question in the forester group. Cheers.

Outy just a couple of items, from a petrol XV owner.

1. Does Edinburgh have a London'esk  type congestion charge ? diesel ?? could be a problem

2. Attention to members response regarding the +/- of diesel is (I believe) less positive than petrol

Thanks Chiles.

I’ve tried test drives of two other makes now. Seat leon dsg xperience( really road noisy, on off turbo) and an auris touring hybrid ( gutless and lurched on corners) Next is a high mileage e250cdi. Id like to stick to auto so maybe a lineartronic xv is an option, just I want a sunroof and they are rare...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I really like my XV. It's a manual diesel 2015 and my first Subaru. I drive up north a lot and it's a decent car for long journeys. I get around 46 to 50 mpg, depending on whether I'm in a hurry or not! There's no ULEZ zone in Edinburgh just now, but it is coming. Probably be enforced in a couple of years or so. My 15 plate is not ULEZ compliant, but the 65 plates are. 

Matt