Go Pro Hero

Ash007ks

Ok Ok, so its not necessarily as Subaru Question, if you didn't know I also ride bikes and to be honest its getting to the point now where im starting to think most drivers are Fu**tards, Not only do I have a race exhaust but I have a black and illuminous  (bad spelling) helmet, plus my leathers plus Xenon lights, yet I keep getting cut up or people seem to just pull out.

I've decided that im going to look into a camera option, while going through numerous funny road rage incidents it hit me, most of these are filmed in good quality using a Go Pro Hero, these are around £170 + depending on the model, now im planning a few track days on the bike and in the Fez bomb and thought I could use them for that as well.

Has anyone ever used one or can recommend a decent make ?.

Didn't have anything like these when I was riding, so can't really comment on whats a good set up or not. I had been looking on youtube at the quality of them though for dash cams. I did come across a helmet mounted 1080p one some where it showed a guy on a BMX using it and it was only about £45. 

Go pro seem to be the standard in quality and i'd say for under two hunderd it would pay for it's self if the worst happened on the bike.

They can stand up to some abuse and if they are good enough for ken bock and various motoring jurnos to shoot with they must be doing something right, depends if you can afford the inital outlay.

They have loads of accessories and are a prety powerful peice of kit. The newest models have wireless capibilities

Hi Ash

I also ride bikes ( Gsrx 750 k8 model and a Honda CRF 450R supermoto ) I invested in a GoPro hd2 and I can say the footage is second to none, I have some really good footage from 2 recent track days plus from wheelie school, I know it's quite a lot of money but it depends on how much use it's going to get?

In my opinion for picture quality and sound well worth the money ;)

• Like 1

A couple of years a go a group a group of us went around Europe with contour cameras on our cars. The footage is HD and looks great but I think the Hero brand have moved on since then for similar money.

Here's a clip one of our guys put together with the contours

• Like 2

A couple of years a go a group a group of us went around Europe with contour cameras on our cars. The footage is HD and looks great but I think the Hero brand have moved on since then for similar money.

Here's a clip one of our guys put together with the contours

That looks great and I bet that was a blast, I would like to see more of that journey, I would love to do something like that :)

As you can probably appreciate, that type of trip, with people you have mostly only met on forums, take a lot of planning. It's always a bit of a compromise, trying to please all the people all of the time, but on that one, we got it right but still learnt a lot from it.

We are planning another for September 2015. It's a long way off but will soon come around and gives everyone time to save :)

Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack. Wasn't intentional.

Yeah can appreciate the planning and one thing life has taught me you will never please everyone :( And to have not all met before and have it planned by the forums does make it that more impressive. So which person did you think was the biggest !Removed! head you can't say your son either haha :D No need to answer that I'm just messing. So how much did it cost you all in with fuel travel just out of interest ? 

And don't worry about Ash he's a Full time legend  :lol:  ;) Private joke I'm sure he will get it :D

Haha dont worry about hijacking the thread, by all means share your experience as it not only shows that the product is good but goes a long way in showing me the dirability etc :)

Im glad my full time legend status is going global gambit ;)

The full trip was 11 nights and we did: ferry from Dover the Dunkerque, Paris, Millau Bridge, Avignon, Hyeres, Col De Turini, Menton, Monaco, Como in Italy, over the alps using the San Bernardino Pass, Lucerne in Switzerland and a weekend in Germany at the Nurburgring.

Most of the cars had two people in and the cost per car, including fuel, hotels, food, spending money was just under £2000 per car.

Sounds a lot and is, but we all have a lifetime of memories, can't put a price on that :)

9 cars went out, 6 came back ( under there own steam) and we lost 2 people in France, ( lost passports, customs wouldn't let them back into UK :)

• Like 1

Haha

It does sound and looks amazing and I agree £2000 is a lot but let's face it not many people can say they have done that. Some will spend that, I've done it myself and just sat on a hot beach everyday doing nothing :D and to do that in a 11 days sound's like you was using the cars well on the open roads ;). would love to see more video's or pictures. I think that's the only thing that would worry me is the car not making it back. But that's part of the risk and fun I guess. 

And what a place to get stuck France of all places. Couldn't they just say they was migrants I would have thought they would have let them straight through ;) 

• Like 1

I was on the trip Tlag mentioned above and I ran two cameras on my car... My own Contour HD and a friends Go Pro. Both filmed in 1080p but on looking at the end footage it was clear the Go Pro had the better picture quality.

Another one from that trip... This is a short clip that hasn't been edited from the Col de Torini. My silver GT-B is the car in the shot and you can see one of the video cameras mounted on the roof.

• Like 1

I know the idea was to look at the camera. But I was just enjoying the video :D

Well lets be honest... That's the real reason I posted it!

All the footage we took on the run came to about 2Tb and was edited together by one of our members into a full length film.  The end product was about 2 hours long so way to big for YouTube and alas there isn't really much footage from the trip available on line.

However, I have found two more clips.  The second clip was an advert for the 2013 run, but alas this was cancelled when several people had to pull out due to lack of money, cars, engines... etc.

Enjoy!

• Like 1