Forester 2010 2.0 Diesel smoking like crazy

jaja

Hi everyone,

My Forester started to leave behind a big cloud of smoke. From the distance the smoke seems to be blue but at the exaust is more gray / black. The engine seemed to stuterd briefly and for a second had a rough idle.

Any ideea where sould I start the diagnostics?   

21 hours ago, jaja said:

Hi everyone,

My Forester started to leave behind a big cloud of smoke. From the distance the smoke seems to be blue but at the exaust is more gray / black. The engine seemed to stuterd briefly and for a second had a rough idle.

Any ideea where sould I start the diagnostics?   

Hi Jaja - check all pressure hoses from the turbo through to the inter cooler and then the small pipe from the inter cooler to the  throttle intake manifold. It could be that you have a split in one or few of them meaning that it’s over fueling as it thinks it’s getting more air than it is into the engine. Take them all off and have a good look. Easy enough to do👍🏻

Thanks Asikingforit. already did this because the turbo was rebuild recently but i will check the pipes again. The EGR Valve was also cleaned. Anything else i can check for? 

at the moment it's difficult to say but i's asuming it's burning oil. Actually the reason why the turbo was rebuild is that entire intake system was soaked in oil. At this point i'm assuming that some piston rings or pistons are gone but i don't want for the moment to open the engine and I'm trying to exclude other causes.

I think i will clean again the intake system and the manifold and see what happens

Don't rule out rebuilt turbo (new or refurb does not always=good), I seen plenty issues with newly installed turbos .
Full in depth inspection of EGR , engine breather and a leak down test might be very helpful if engine suspect .