Remapping...?

dott_92

I need to get the car remapped, 160hp is nothing for a car this big! Ive been looking on the internet and im really stuck on where to go? Im in york but everywhere ive found so far only does turbos, is there not enough of an increase in hp to get the Rsport done, is that why garages just dont bother? Any advise would be appreciated :)

A remap on small N/A engines will give little to no gains unless you upgrade breathing parts - exhaust, induction kit, manifolds mainly. Even then you may not make massive gains depending on the engine. Unless it left the factory in a low tune which that hasn't I don't think if it has 160 standard.

Sorry for the bad news, but hey, isn't your insurance too high anyway ;)

What we normally suggest for NA engines is look at the engine breathing so filter + induction kit and exhaust to get it flowing the best it can (without a fully blueprinted engine build) and chassis tweaks so lightening where possible and improving the suspension + brakes, that way you improve the power to weight ratio and are able to brake later and carry more corner speed.

If you choose a good air filter (Subaru STi for example) or induction kit, and don't mind getting the car to run on higher octane fuel you should be able to get a 10% rise, maybe more.  I wouldn't worry too much about an exhaust for an N/A as it's only turbos that really gain from a free-flowing exhaust.  N/As tend to work better with a bit of resistance.

Try and contact a chap called Bob Rawle at BRDevelopments.  He will map N/A cars and has a very good reputation.  He is based in Swindon which is miles away from you but he travels all over Europe mapping.  Try to find out when he is next up your way and see if he can fit you in.  Be warned, he is very busy so you may have to wait a while for a reply.

• Like 1

Yea it's striking that happy balance with the exhaust. 2.5" bore seems to be ideal for most set-ups. Definitely wouldn't go higher on N/A. It got me around an extra 15bhp in my 2l Civic

& yea you could get around 10% extra there. But for the price would you really say its worth it - especially if your insurer is a pain with mods thatll be extra too. I doubt you'd notice that extra 16bhp much on its own. It'll no doubt be more responsive but you'll be very surprised just how quickly you'd get used to it. I'd save up and upgrade it properly or for the amount it'd probably cost to do that buy a WRX.