space saver wheel

kenny wallace

• 7 months later...

• 3 months later...

Hi Martin I know you posted 4 months ago but I have just come across it. I am picking up a new Outback Limited next week. I queried with the dealer whether a full size spare ( alloy or steel ) could go in the back and was told it would be an inch too big. 

So your comment about a steel wheel is interesting to me. Leeds is not too far away from me. Is the dealer that supplied you with steel wheel and insert KT Green ? I will contact them and enquire. Cheers

21 hours ago, Alan C said:

Hi Martin I know you posted 4 months ago but I have just come across it. I am picking up a new Outback Limited next week. I queried with the dealer whether a full size spare ( alloy or steel ) could go in the back and was told it would be an inch too big. 

So your comment about a steel wheel is interesting to me. Leeds is not too far away from me. Is the dealer that supplied you with steel wheel and insert KT Green ? I will contact them and enquire. Cheers

Hi.  I'd really question what the dealership are saying about the alloy or steel full size spare being too large.  I've been less than impressed by Subaru dealerships knowledge in the UK. Check out the US OB site as there's masses of good (better than dealership) advice.  For example see:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/full-size-spare-tire.518698/

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/full-size-spare-fits-but-not-tpms-in-premium.524763/

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/full-size-spare-for-limited.528043/

There are many, many other threads there too on this topic. 

I have a Gen5 OB and one of the first things I did was to buy a new alloy Subaru OE wheel and put a non-directional tyre (Bridgestone Dueler) on it.  It fits fine and the rim came from Subaru with all the fitting requirements (spacers, foam, etc.) needed to make it secure.  

From what I've read the Gen6 can also accommodate a spare rim and tyre, especially as the boot is slightly bigger than the Gen5 and so I can't see why they'd reduce the space for a spare under the boot floor as all of the transmission below etc seems very similar to the Gen5. As I've referred to above, they're fitting full size spares in the US..

Things to consider:

1.  Make sure the tyre you fit to the spare is not directional, as it may need to go one any side of the car as required. 

2. TPM.  The Gen5 doesn't allow for registering 5 TPMS valves i.e 4 on each wheel and one on the spare), but that has never been a problem unless you want to incorporate the spare into a 5 wheel tyre rotation system.  I'd considered this but it's a hassle and mine has a standard none TPMS valve. 

3.  If, like me, you just keep the spare for emergencies, then if it is ever needed, you'll likely have a new, unworn tyre that you're adding to the 3 other wheels on the car, so the tread depth of the spare will be different (greater) from the other wheels/tyres on the car.  No problem for emergencies and driving a few 100 miles or so, but not a good solution for longer use as (you probably know) tyre tread depths and tyre makes, etc. need to match and be within small margins on any 4x4 Subaru to avoid longterm transmission issues. Get the puncture fixed and put the spare wheel back in the boot again. If you can't get the puncture foxed then it's 4 new tyres (££££!).

It seems that the OB is the only Subaru model now that has the option of carrying a spare wheel, rather than a tyre repair kit.  This is appalling for a manufacturer that boasts how its cars have some off-road potential and are suited for rural areas!