Outer cv joint

Lou

Hi, 

2014 2.0 Diesel auto. Just had a service at Subaru main dealer and have been told I’ve got an outer cv joint that needs replacing. They quoted £266 + vat and an hours labour. Trouble is they can’t get one and there’s a back order and they have no idea when they will be available.  I’ve had a search and I can get a pattern part at half the price, question do I get a pattern part and have fitted by a local mechanic or wait for the Subaru part. Has anyone used pattern parts or do you only get what you pay for in quality.  Cheers

you get what you pay for within reason, what exactly wrong with the joint ? does it really need replacing !
If the joint is bad I would consider genuine used over pattern part .
loads of these diesels in the salvage system so pretty easy source used parts .
They super easy replace so no bother for half decent local mechanic .

Is the joint making clicking sounds, is it that the dust boot is split, or is it genuinely knackered.

Assuming the boot isn't split, i'd repack the joint with the correct grease and see what its like after, you can use a long sturdy cable tie to reseal the boot temorarily after regreasing whilst you run the vehicle for a few days and see how it goes, if its just the boot split then get that replaced and repack the joint.

If it cures the problem consider doing the same to the other 3 joints on the front driveshafts.

Thanks for the reply’s, apparently it’s making a very loud clicking on turning. I’m extremely deaf so I haven’t heard this but my wife tells me she’s heard it for a long time. I’ve had 5 Subarus and never had one go wrong, had the usual consumables renewed brakes, discs etc so this is strange for me having to have a repair. I’ve repacked the boots on my minis years ago but it never was successful. I’ll chase them up and try and get a more accurate time from them as I’ve got a mot in 4 weeks and not sure if that’s a failure. 

it not a MOT failure for noise, only for rubber boot damaged .
Well worth sourcing a nice used one, over 300 for a new one and back order is just stupid money/hassle ....
Or try sourcing new one from ICP or Amayama ...

• 3 months later...

Hi  thought I would give the outcome of my CV joint saga. I went back to Subaru dealer and asked them to order me a new driveshaft and was prepared to wait for it. I was then informed that the new price for a driveshaft had gone up to £700 inc vat plus fitting. Promptly told them where to stick it. 
A mechanic told me of a very good company on Amazon which he uses all the time. Contacted them gave all relevant details and was delivered in a week, price was £170 inc delivery. Fitted by local mechanic which took an hour.