Question about buying modified Impreza WRX STI Type UK 2004

nickshanks

Found a great Impreza WRX STI 2004 Type UK I want to buy. It's a good price with somewhat low (75k) miles. It's modified and is running two maps (350HP and 440HP) on a MD321T hybrid turbo. Also has turbo air intake pipe, Japspeed front mount intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, stage 1 clutch and is tuned by Enginetuner. The current owner has a heap of paperwork to show the work done to it.

How reliable are EJ20 engines? And how reliable are they when running bolt-ons with 350-440hp?

Welcome,

440 is pretty high on the stock engine even for an 04, other than the 2001 sti engine the 2004 was one of the stronger ones out the box, but it will reduce the longevity running at that power, by how much is tough to say though.

I'm guessing its this one?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309041531719?sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&keywords=sti&make=Subaru&page=12&postcode=de59tu&fromsra

On 10/24/2023 at 3:07 PM, Tidgy said:

Welcome,

440 is pretty high on the stock engine even for an 04, other than the 2001 sti engine the 2004 was one of the stronger ones out the box, but it will reduce the longevity running at that power, by how much is tough to say though.

I'm guessing its this one?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309041531719?sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&keywords=sti&make=Subaru&page=12&postcode=de59tu&fromsra

Thank you yep that was the one - I didn't go for it in the end. It was just too much power on stock internals.

9 hours ago, nickshanks said:

Thank you yep that was the one - I didn't go for it in the end. It was just too much power on stock internals.

fair enough, the engines of that age are alot stronger than the more recent 2.5's, but as said, like anything harder you push, the shorter they last

5 hours ago, Tidgy said:

fair enough, the engines of that age are alot stronger than the more recent 2.5's, but as said, like anything harder you push, the shorter they last

So I'm close to buying an '05 Blobeye STI... are those weaker engines? Still the 2.0. The HPI check said the engine type was EJ207.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:03 PM, nickshanks said:

So I'm close to buying an '05 Blobeye STI... are those weaker engines? Still the 2.0. The HPI check said the engine type was EJ207.

the 2.0 is good out the box (kept within reason mods wise of course), 2002 onwards they don't have proper forged pistons, they use heated treated cast, but they are about 200000000000 miles better than the 2.5 out the box. (04 and 05 engines are pretty much exactly the same, 06 they shifted to the 2.5)

Keep on top of maintenance and they are reliable even with some modding.

One thing to bear in mind is your talking about a 20 year old car that was about £30k new to buy, so come service time bills will cost what they cost for a 30k car. Also at that age, it's highly likley it has wear and tare so will prob need some work. Rubber seal, bush's etc are the same on any car for example.

I'm not trying to put you off by the way, just trying to make sure you dont get any nasty surprises, they are amazing cars and tbh very little out there compares to them performance and fun to drive, i've had them for over 20 years now and even an M3 didnt come close to the enjoyment. With a scoobs its MOS not MPG, miles of smyles 😄

11 hours ago, Tidgy said:

the 2.0 is good out the box (kept within reason mods wise of course), 2002 onwards they don't have proper forged pistons, they use heated treated cast, but they are about 200000000000 miles better than the 2.5 out the box. (04 and 05 engines are pretty much exactly the same, 06 they shifted to the 2.5)

Keep on top of maintenance and they are reliable even with some modding.

One thing to bear in mind is your talking about a 20 year old car that was about £30k new to buy, so come service time bills will cost what they cost for a 30k car. Also at that age, it's highly likley it has wear and tare so will prob need some work. Rubber seal, bush's etc are the same on any car for example.

I'm not trying to put you off by the way, just trying to make sure you dont get any nasty surprises, they are amazing cars and tbh very little out there compares to them performance and fun to drive, i've had them for over 20 years now and even an M3 didnt come close to the enjoyment. With a scoobs its MOS not MPG, miles of smyles 😄

I know you're not trying to put me off, and I appreciate the advice! I picked up an '05 STI with Prodrive performance pack - the car is immaculate and I had a blast driving it back from Wales today!

There are a couple things I want to do with the car... CarPlay (still has the original radio), upgraded speakers, better immobiliser and I also need to get in contact with Andy Carr (who mapped the car previously) to try to get him to explain how one of the anti-lag/launch control (?) switches work.

Also, my car came without the manual... do you know where I could find a Type UK owners manual online? Looked for a pdf but can't find any for Type UKs.

28 minutes ago, nickshanks said:

I know you're not trying to put me off, and I appreciate the advice! I picked up an '05 STI with Prodrive performance pack - the car is immaculate and I had a blast driving it back from Wales today!

There are a couple things I want to do with the car... CarPlay (still has the original radio), upgraded speakers, better immobiliser and I also need to get in contact with Andy Carr (who mapped the car previously) to try to get him to explain how one of the anti-lag/launch control (?) switches work.

Also, my car came without the manual... do you know where I could find a Type UK owners manual online? Looked for a pdf but can't find any for Type UKs.

grats, get some pics up 😄

eBay may well be your best bet for a manual.

• 2 weeks later...