Immobiliser/Starter motor

Emma46

Having been working fine on the way to the supermarket and then opening fine after being in the car park the car now won’t turn off the immobiliser. I had a car locksmith out and he confirmed key is programmed fine, transmission from key working but immobiliser just won’t turn off. Car was towed to a garage. They garage think it may be the starter motor. So my question is if the starter motor has died would that stop the immobiliser turning off? I’m not convinced!

well a starter motor fault won't exactly make the immobiliser not function but it would give similar scenario of engine not turning over much same as if immobiliser was on .
Testing starter is less than 10 minute job if your garage any good so no need guess on subject of starter functional condition .
You don't say what year you Forester is but I would guess it a SG model and has the Sigma m30 alarm system, If the alarm system is at fault simplest solution is buying a used good m30 alarm removed from a Subaru (must be supplied with a working remote or pin code so can be easily programmed to your key fobs)
Second solution is bypass/removal of alarm .
Fitting used alarm is pretty easy & we fixed a few this way and at sensible cost .
Biggest issues you face is most garages clueless and give you poor advice/work for your money .