97 uk2000 problem NEED HELP PLEASE

I have a 1997 uk2000 Impreza . This is what happened . Hope it makes sense . 
So I let out a massive backfire (big boom ) then it started limping . Come off a round about and going onto a little slip road into maccies and the engine just cut out . Had to roll into a parking space . Started it and a massive cloud of white / grey smoke come out the back of it so I turned it off . I left it off went got some food come back started it up she was fine . Had to go on the motor way for about 20 ish miles . It wasn’t liking it very well . Kept judering and had barely any power . Come off the motorway onto a dual carriageway and it was backfiring constantly like bang bang bang . Then boom lost all power ( was doing about 67mph) lost all revs . Was just stuck on the side of the dual carriageway at a bottom of a hill ( there was a lay-by at the top of the hill ) . Managed to get it started but couldn’t go above 1.5revs so I’m in 3rd going up this hill . Managed to get it in the layby . Waited about an hour and a half for it to cool down . And waited for my mates to come save me . Started it up and loads of smoke come out it had no power and constantly smoke coming out the back but changing colour so white grey blue black ect .I couldn’t let the revs drop other wise the engine would cut out . Every set of lights the engine would cut out . Managed to drive it about 15 miles before it said no . And wouldn’t start . Then mange to get it started and got about 10miles if that . Then it was backfiring and I lost all throttle again . Had nothing . And then I got some of my mate to tow me home . Thought the engine would tick over so I would have power steering and AB’s ect . But it would run for about 2mins then cut out . But there was no tapping from the engine or nothing that sounded like bottom end . But the oil in the intercooler is a metallic grey ? like oil and metal mixed .  

I don’t know what else to check if it’s not the bottom end what is it ? Everyone I have spoken to said it’s buggered and I need a new engine .

Prob need to drop the oil and see what it looks like, after that compression/leakdown test, then go from there. doesn't sound promising though.