Subaru Impretza 2.0i AWD 1997

richbaker

Hi can anyone help me. I have a strange problem that happens every now and then.If im driving the car and pull up at a junction sometimes as i lift my foot off the clutch pedal the car does not want to move it feels like the handbrake is on this only happens 2 - 3 times a day if i depress the clutch pedal again and take it out of gear then put it back in it pulls away without problem.I have  had the brakes checked and they are working as they should and the car has had a new clutch fitted a short time ago and works as it should there are no strange noises or any juddering when the prob happens its simply you pull up to a stop hold the clutch pedal down for more than 30sec and occassionally the car feels like its being held back when you lift your foot off the clutch pedal it will move forward but very slowly the strange think is this only happens every now and then cold it be the way im driving as i have never driven a AWD car before and im wondering if its something to do with the way the car is geared   Is this a problem or is this the way the cars are.

I appreciate any information anyone can give me 

Richard

How long ago was the clutch fitted might be bedding in maybe. I would have said sticky break's but if you had them checked. And like you say might be just getting used to an AWD car. I take it you have not had it long at all. Might be worth just checking the gear has gone in to 1st all the way too. So next time it does it keep the clutch down and just take it out of 1st then return it see if that works , it's not a fix but might be able to narrow it down a little :D

What I have done by accident is put it in 3rd on a few occasions - still getting used to how close the selector gate is on the gear mechanism so I look like a bit of a plonker at junctions eusa_think.gif

yes i can understand that. But this problem happens at any time even when you have just driven a few yards in 1st gear then depress the clutch hold it for 30secs or more then let the clutch out and occassionally it will drag like the brake is on then if you depress the pedal again and take it out of gear then put it back into gear and let the clutch out it will pull away like it should it does not make any strange noises and you dont need to touch the brakes it just works like it should

The only other thing to try is to adjust the clutch under the clutch pedal, the rod that goes into the master cylinder and that is connected to your pedal has a nut locking it in position on your pedal, loosen it think its a 12mm, then to adjust the pedal you need to turn the rod anti clockwise , maybe one or two rotations, its easier to turn if you take the R pin and shaft that holds the rod to the pedal mechanism of , then re assemble and see how it feels, you might need to adjust it a few times.

Does it have 'hill hold'?

A couple of my old legacy's had a hill hold function, but I don't know if Impreza's ever had that option. could it be that malfunctioning?

• Like 1