Weak Starter

farmerpug

The starter in the forester is getting quite weak, I've charged the Battery recently but it still seems a bit sluggish at turning over, and eventually the Battery goes flat.

Sometimes the starter makes a crunchy grinding sound, most of the time it just struggles to turn the car over, i normally keep it parked on a hill and roll start it but the handbrake seizes up in it which makes pushing it tricky.

Instead of buying a starter is rebuild kits available?

I remember getting the starter in my clio refurbished by an auto electrician back when it was giving trouble not starting, it cost £25 and was as good as new. I know the same place could probably do the foresters starter but id rather give it a go myself.

I might have asked before, but does subaru have the equivalent of peugeots service box? Ie an online parts catalogue for each car, giving part numbers, and diagrams?

• 3 months later...

I took the starter out and brought it to an auto electrician, he said it was scrap, he showed me the inside of it which was in bad shape, but conveniently he also gave me the number of a place up the road which breaks subarus, a replacement part was bought for £30 and it starts very quickly now.

Best option really, rebuilding starters is a bit hit & miss really. Some faults/wear are easily resolved & some not, for price of used or recon with decent warranty it hard to justify doing major rebuild work on them really.

• Like 1