help on deciding bug eye GX vs wrx/sti pros and cons

motoxwayne

If you don't need / want performance car with the running costs to match go for a gx

Depending on budget a wrx / Sti , Sti will give more tuning potential as the wrx engine will give out at a certain point , Sti will have bigger brakes already !!

insurance will be a lot more on the turbos and fuel expect anything from 12 - 18mpg and on a run 25

Fuel economy dosnt always follow. My old 2.0 an legacy was about the same as my first twin turbo legacy.

May have been something to do with my right foot though :)

Seriously though. The pros of a GX:

cheaper insurance,

Will probably not have been ragged to death

Less to go wrong

Pros of a wrx/STI:

Power,

Looks, (personal taste)

Power,

Tune ability.

Cons of wrx/STI:

insurance

Fuel

Probably has been ragged to death,

Money pit, once you start modifying it.

It's all down to the budget you have right now and a budget for the future.

• Like 1

thanks for the advice,  not too bothered about power tbh would rather have the looks.  mechanic by trade so theres nothing i cant do repairing wise.   been looking at prices and they are all over the shop,  nothing consistant.  ideally would be my daily driver so mpg would help.  insurance is extremely cheap for me as i get it though works insurance,  for a fully comp gx looking at 200-300 depending on windscreen cover. 

Hiya, I have a bugeye gx that is a wrx lookalike, I wanted one more for looks than power. The amount of people that have asked what performance mods I have done, then I tell them it,s a gx and laugh.

Cheap insurance, good on fuel.

I love mine :D

thats great advice mate, what sort of mpg you getting

i have gx blob myself. just to add to all above- you get AWD, you get boxer burble and pretty much 70% of driving abilities of WRX. not as quick of course. As long as it has Subaru badge it will make you smile every time you take it for spin :ph34r:  :D

I second all the above, fab at handling too. On £10 of petrol I get about 40 miles. If I could drive mine all day I would :D

what sort of driving is that long run or town driving?  on your figures your getting roughly 25mpg

same here. if i put petrol for 25 quid it last me for a week and i do around 100 miles a week but thats up to 3rd gear sometimes 4th if im only cruising. but with speed limit of 40mph anywhere on island its like big town :)

• Like 1

I bought a dog of a sport last march, now compared to my 1.0L corsa, fast as chuff, but then i went for a blast in a 310bhp PPP classic and i died inside, 

Biggest tip from me, if you go N/A you will always regret not going turbo, if you go turbo, you'll go broke. At the end of the day if some little prick in a 1.6 gsi corsa with some bike carbs out drags you when youre in your STi rep, you may aswell take the bus, plus, from general experience people tend to buy cheap N/A's and think they are full on WRC material resulting in a lot of ragged N/A imprezas

• Like 2

I'd go for the WRX

if a sport is turned into a STI look a like, sometimes the insurance is more expensive than a standard STI!

the MPG isn't much different either, my WRX is running 330BHP and I get 22MPG just knocking about and the odd blast, plenty of pop's and bang's! and I can get 36MPG on a run

I wouldn't bother with dual maps though, it's not worth the hassle, if you want better MPG wear lighter shoes :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2002 GX, it's an STi rep, it looks & sounds the part, it's terrible on fuel though! I get 20 mpg roughly I do have a heavy foot though! I'm thinking of an engine change to a turbo! Just weighing it up ATM

I wouldn't swap the engine, there are loads of other things that would need swapping too. Engine, turbo, ECU, full exhaust. Then its stuff like brakes, anti roll bars.

It could also make it more difficult to sell,

I'd sell yours as it is, so it will appeal to younger drivers or someone wanting cheaper insurance.

NO, I didn't want an STI, and YES, I could afford one if I did want one!!!!

i agree with dave.  sell what you have and replace it with a proper wrx.   Just to update (please dont shoot!)  i totally changed my mind on the impreza, I couldn't get over the poor mpg so decided for a totally different make.  i might get one in the future tho.