Safe to buy Cat C write off?

Andaru

I'm looking at buying a Foz XT soon and one has popped up with very low miles, FSH ect. However last May it was a cat C write off and has been repaired, is it safe to buy a damage repaired car especially as I plan to run 300 whp along with a host of other mods. I would get an AA or RAC assessment on it beforehand, but is it even worth considering? 

I've never been put off buying write offs And as long as it has passed all the checks and been put through an MOT with all paperwork I would be happy to buy one and run 300BHP through it chances are you will chance parts that was the main reason for it to be written off. But from what I have seen before most write offs is down to the bodywork and respray bumping the cost up to much to repair. :)

If it's got fsh then surely there will be something relating to the damage and what had to be repaired, a good starter for making your own decisions before a full inspection. I had a CAT C once and it wasn't till I had the wheels aligned after lowering I discovered it had a mahoosive thrust angle and was effectively crabbing down the road. Just something for you to bare in mind

If it's got fsh then surely there will be something relating to the damage and what had to be repaired, a good starter for making your own decisions before a full inspection. I had a CAT C once and it wasn't till I had the wheels aligned after lowering I discovered it had a mahoosive thrust angle and was effectively crabbing down the road. Just something for you to bare in mind

Hence the Cat C ;)

my car has just been certified a cat c write off, the rear door has been struck lightly and a small scrape on the rear quarter, it would cost them £1850 t repair with genuine parts so it's a write off, if i keep the car, which i am for the time being, i don't need to get it SVA'd nor does it affect my policy, if i sell the car i am required by law to notify the new owner of the cat c status and the new owner must get it SVA'd to make sure it's road worthy, there is no chassis damage and i have 2 kids that are in the car most of the time and i'm happy to drive it as is, i'm sure you are given a copy of the test to tell you what damage it's had/got so you can determine if you feel safe to drive it

• Like 2

Thanks guys, at least I know it's worth a look now, I know things can get cat C'd for silly things. My friends Alfa's handbrake cable snapped and it rolled down his driveway and hit the wall across the street and only needed the rear bumper replaced!

• Like 1

I wrote my classic off a few years ago in a head on crash and bought it back as a Cat D. it had bent the front ns chassis leg, got a bulkhead from Grade A Subaru and repaired the car for a fraction of the engineers estimate. Worth doing if you have the car checked out properly when fixed.

• Like 1