Wastegate rattle

Cjintense

Have you tried to add a bit of hand pressure see if that stops it. Only other way is to adjust it a bit get the actuator arm onto the wastegate arm so that there's a bit of pressure pulling the wastegate shut to stop the rattle. But if you do adjust it don't over tighten it too much otherwise you will hit overboost all the time. Someone else might have a better set up or a trick to get around it though. 

Right this seemed to work for me so if anyone wants to try it be my guest back don't take this as fact.

I got rid of my waste gate rattle by preloading the wastegate on the turbo. This is easy to do but be careful not to over load it as it will do damage down the line.

If you take the shielding off of your turbo you will see the waste gate actuator rod. If it's corroded I would douse it in WD40 as you don't want to cause the threads to damage. Carefully crack off the 10mm nut on the rod. Then with a small flat blade screw driver carefully remove the circlip off of the wastegate link. Lift off the rod from the wastegate. Once removed push the wastegate shut with your finger and wind in the actuator rod until you can slide it off and on the shaft without any interference. Once this is done turn the rod (shortening the length) by another 1 to 1 and a half turns. You will then have to pull the rod slightly to fit it back on the waste gate but this has preloaded the actuator. Refit the circlip and tighten the nut. If you get any fluffing noises once this is done just back off the rod by half a turn until it stops.

It's much easier to do than it sounds trust me. Mine is boosting better and feels like a different car.

Once again I'm no expert but after much research this seems to be a standard wastegate actuator preloading sequence.

Hope this helps anyone else.

• Like 1

Like I said anyone can find this info. And I'm not expert. My wastegate rattled due to the rod hole being warn from age. This just reset the actuator rod. It was not for performance reasons and I'm not telling people about it for those reasons. Just if anyone else has a rattling waste gate it may help them reset it

• Like 1