Bad steering wheel wobble!

Djohn

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread (it's a while since I've been on) I have an STI forester which developed a problem yesterday. The steering wheel wobbles from side to side and if I get up to 50mph the car feels like its driving over a ploughed field. Its not a tyre problem, tyres are Bridgestone potenzas and have been on for over a year and I checked the pressures this morning. My local garage can't fit me in until Friday so just as a heads up, any ideas how bad this could be?

it could be as simple as your wheel has thrown a weight and therefore is no longer balanced causing a vibration through to the steering wheel however the way you have described it leads me to think it could be something a bit more serious like a bearing gone or your steering rack has worn

Really bad warped discs maybe, normally just get a pedal kickback like the ABS is on when breaking though. Like Jay said could be a bad alloy wheel problem/balance, Tie rod, Lower ball joint. But think it need's checking out. Hope it's not to serious. And be greatful if you let us know what they have said :)