tracking/balancing issues after full service

tom_gr7

So, had a full service yesterday/today. Was organised through my lasses uncle (bought the motor off him) with a garage he trusts and works with frequently. 

They told me they had to remove the engine to change the plugs? I presume they dont work with scoobs regularly.

Took it out for a spin this afternoon, at speeds of 60,70,80 mph the steering is leaning to the left and its also shaking. Everything was fine before the service, the car ran like a dream at those speeds.

I took it to my usual tyre place, they said it wasnt the tracking. I explained the symptoms, he said it could be a balancing issue then. - Although everything was fine before the service.

Anyone got any ideas?

I was told that they shouldnt have need to remove the engine to change the plugs though, so that is a little worrying. I presume that they haven't got the right tools or something.

all they need is a socket then a spanner other wise you can wind the ratchet all the way out to the engine bay and get it trapped, with mine I cracked it with the socket gave it a couple of turns and wound the rest out with my fingers.

The shaking could be balance of a wheel being out - check and see if you have lost a weight... but the leaning to the left is not - it sounds to me like you have something loose in the drive train

Kin hell what was the bill?

lol, well the service was included in the cost of the car. (from my lasses uncle) they will probably bill him. But i aint paying him nout, came out in worse than before it went in. 

the tyre place didn't charge me, they only checked the tracking and said it was fine.

I spoke to the subaru guys from sheffield through PM's on here. He didn't seem impressed that they took out the engine to change the plugs.

Just a bit of an update, as everyone was suggesting the balancing needed doing. I popped out with my maglight to have a butchers at the wheels.

It seems that, on the front left and both rears ALL of the little weights have been removed. You could see the remainder of the sticky tape there.

How strange..... car fine on Thursday, service on Friday, get it back on Saturday and find three out of four wheels have the balancing weights missing....

Are you sure they have been removed and are not the old ones as you have some other weights there in the last picture?

well I did think that, but the car drove fine at 70-80 on Thursday night. The car was with the garage Friday am through till this morning. I have a feeling they left it outside. - The area is pretty rough btw. Most people have told me it sounds like the wheels need balancing. So i guess I'm just putting two and two together.

But, i will find out for certain when I get the wheels balanced again

Worth getting them balanced and tracked up if it's not been done for awhile, check tyre pressures to try to have them as even all round as possible. Funny how that can make a unbalance feel a lot worse just being 5 psi lower