legacy drinking oil

sweetlegacy

my 2.5 tiptronic legacy is burning oil.

i serviced the car last month, using millers nano 5w30, but after less than 1.5ki have put in 1litre of oil.

no leaks, no smoke, no oil in exhaust, no coolant loss, car runs quiet etc.is this normal?

I drive in sports around town, 80% of time and above 69mph on motorway the other 20%

the car has done 186k, my regret is that I should have used thicker oil, 10w40, perhaps.

Cheers, I will leave the slick 50 for now and possibly carry on topping up the 5w30 for another 2 or 3k, but then change over to 10w40.

I am planning on a oil and filter change every 5 or 6k.

the thickness of the oil shouldn't be related to loss - it will however help (as will slick 50) with a noisier engine attributed to wear through higher miles, you mention burning oil but there is no smoke or deposits in the exhaust?

It must be going somewhere - I would do more checks for smoke and keep an eye on the coolant - has the engine ever been rebuilt?

my 2.5 tiptronic legacy is burning oil.

i serviced the car last month, using millers nano 5w30, but after less than 1.5ki have put in 1litre of oil.

no leaks, no smoke, no oil in exhaust, no coolant loss, car runs quiet etc.is this normal?

I drive in sports around town, 80% of time and above 69mph on motorway the other 20%

the car has done 186k, my regret is that I should have used thicker oil, 10w40, perhaps.

No all oils are the same. Try another brank like Motul, etc. I would move to a 10w30. or 10w40.

Check your intake and see if you have any oil in there. It has to be burning off,since you don't have puddles on the ground (you didn't mentioned)

sorry I am not very good with cars, bear with me...

no from all service history and receipts cannot see engine rebuild.

I don't have any oil on the ground or any leaks I can see in the engine.

what I meant about not burning off was I could not see grey/white smoke from the exhaust.should I be placing my hand in the exhaust (when cold) and seeing if there is oil there? sorry where is the intake?

the coolant level seems to be at the maximum line in the white expansion tank hot or cold- I usually check unscrew the metal cap and the coolant is always at the top, am I doing this wrong? if there is coolant loss what does that mean?

are there other checks that I need to carry out?