2009 Forester rear brake discs

gasgas

Sorry for the simplicity of this question. I've just found my rear brake disc ground down (people who normally wear skirts have been driving it. Aaarrgh!). 32,000 miles - a bit soon I would have thought, specially as at 30,000 miles I inspected the pads and they had 4.5millimetres of material left on them.  This is an automatic car. I'm suspicious that a normally-drives-a-manual-person-who-normally-wears-a-skirt has been driving it resting their foot on the brake thinking its a clutch. Note the lack of sexual discrimination here. Anyhow the damage is done now. Guess I'll have to look at the front pads as well.

Is there anything special I need to know to replace the discs? I presume it is like any other - remove the calliper then try to wrench the disc off. Is that right?

What is the hole in the drum part of the disc - is it a shoe thickness monitoring facility? Do I need to back off the shoes before the disc will come off?

Should come off quite easily just be sure handbrake fully off.

Rear brakes can wear fast due to Electronic Brake Force Distribution system but I would also expect the skirt was using the brake a lot, some manual drivers find autos a bit out of control so use left foot braking a bit too much, have seen some incredible amount of brake damage due to this.

Thanks MrB. Thats what I thought. I ride a motorbike and am astonished at the nonsensical braking I see. Trouble is, if you just go to zap past them, they might in their far-away mind be turning right, not bothering to signal.

Groan. That's £100 down the drain and I'll have to go 40 miles to get the bits.

Next time she drives it I'll surrepticiously follow her and see what she's doing. That's my daughter. My wife is used to autos and is OK on the braking score. Daughter will me miffed when I tell her no she can't borrow the car.