Radio interference when heated rear screen switched on?

Shifty

Hi.

Not been around for a while due to work and domestics but just recently I've noticed that my radio reception goes to pot when the heated rear screen is switched on in my 05 Outback. I assume that the heated element is also the aerial but is this a common issue and is there a simple fix? Not found anything useful on google. Fingers crossed one of you nice peeps has come across the problem and even better sorted it.

Thanks

Shifty aka Steve

I would have to agree just depends where :( 1st place I would have a look at is behind the unit in the dash. I would have a look see if its loose or bare wires. I'd start there with it being the easiest place. But I'm sure the aerial and heater are all in the back window same as the Imp, I disconnected the main aerial and bought another one for the same reason.  

if the heated rear screen is being used as antenna too then there is a capacitor to block the DC going into your radio, most likely that this capacitor is kaput.

i have no clue where that capacitor can be as my06 Forester doesn't have it but you can buy them for pennies at Maplin and with a bit of smoke and solder an easy fix.

Hi.

Not been around for a while due to work and domestics but just recently I've noticed that my radio reception goes to pot when the heated rear screen is switched on in my 05 Outback. I assume that the heated element is also the aerial but is this a common issue and is there a simple fix? Not found anything useful on google. Fingers crossed one of you nice peeps has come across the problem and even better sorted it.

Thanks

Shifty aka Steve

Apparently this is caused by a minute break in one or more of the heated elements sometimes caused by a scratch or the like. This causes interference to be generated at the break point which is picked up by the nearby radio antena wires embedded in the screen. The antena is bonded into the rear screen but it is actually separate from the heating elements with no physical connection. I'm told the fix is to find the break in the heating element(s) and using some conductive paint fix the break by bridging the two disconnected ends. If you carefully clean and mask the glass before painting the fix is virtually invisible once the tape is removed. The hard bit is finding exactly where the break may be especially if its not that visible. I'll let you know how I get on and whether the above works. Cheers for all the suggestions.

I just bought something similar to this mate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOLEADS-DAB-AA1-Glass-Mount-DAB-Digital-Car-Radio-Aerial-Antenna-SMB-Connector-/370916306948?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item565c55b004

But if you go down the paint thing sound interesting. Pictures with a how to would be good ;)