brake upgrade advice

wrxweston

Sorry I missed this post are your brakes completely standard .

2 pot calipers with vented discs on the front .

Single pot sliding calipers with solid discs on the rear ?

On my 97 uk turbo I upgraded to 4 pot subaru front calipers with the bigger drilled and groved discs .

Calipers and discs just bolt straight on

The rears are newage 2 pot calipers with bigger drilled vented discs .

You do have to buy conversion brackets (about £60) and remove the rear splash guards to make them fit .

They're good enough to stop mine running 320 hp and probably set me back £450 all in .

I'd also recommend some braided brake lines (about £50) and a fluid refresh .

Have a squint at my project thread pg 1 for the fronts and pg7 for the rear conversion

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

post-1399-140095649617_thumb.jpg

Dunno if the pic will come out as I normally use photo bucket but, here's one of the billet ally brackets fitted. They're needed on the classic 160 rear hubs move the caliper away from the centre of the hub to allow for the bigger disc diameter

Straight swop on the fronts with newage /late classic sti front 4 pots and 4 pot bigger discs

The rear handbrake shoes only fit the same type diff ie

Classic 160 rear diff/hub set up suits newage wrx 160 rear hubs/handbrake set up

Classic 180 rear hubs (from late sti /type r) fit newage 180 sti rear hubs /handbrake set up

• Like 1

Cheers for that savage yeah they are all standard 2pot front 1pot rear personally i think they really are terrible ! I will most likely go for that setup if its straightforward

Cheapest way would be to Have a look for newage wrx front 4 pots and rear 2 pots with discs second hand. then you'll just need new pads all round and the rear conversion brackets [emoji6]

Your my97 uk turbo will have a 160 rear diff / hub set up if you want to check compatibility . Alyn @ A.S performance sells the conversion brackets and numerous types of pads , but you'd be better off phoning him cos his website

Doesn't list everything he sells .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can you put me onto a company who sell the conversion kits?

My posting is here - http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/threads/my97-98-jdm-impreza-wrx-sti-r-ra-ver-iii-iv-hubs-and-axle-splines.17482/

I need to know if the MY01+ WRX hubs can fit the MY97-98 R180 axles.

You help is very appreciated.

I got my advice on handbrake shoe compatability and conversion brackets to fit newage wrx 160 rear 2 pots to my 160 classic rear hubs from as performance , but give him a call or drop him a email (cos his websites pretty useless )

http://asperformance.com/contact/

Wouldn't have thought you'd need the 2 pot brackets as I think they fit directly to the classic 180 set up.

If he can't help you with the spline count try cross referencing the hub/shaft/c.v part numbers or email luke at importcarparts