Plasti dip wheels

Looks like my cars previous owner has tried to repaint the wheels while still on the car - I say that as it doesn't look like he has rotated them and so missed bits.

I have a silver blob and I actually think the wheels look nicer when they have a bit of brake dust on them and are a bit darker. Not black but dark grey.

Money has been slipping through my fingers at a crazy speed recently and I don't have the money for a new set of wheels. I did stumble upon the plasti dip metallic YouTube vids and thought that might be just the ticket.

Has anyone tried this and what were the results?

Go got the impression you can get a great finish if you have the knack.

not tried it myself but after watching a video on youtube it looks really easy to do but tbh i think i'd take the wheels off to do it rather than spraying them on the car that way i can avoid having to cover the calipers etc with plastic

Yes, I agree. Although they do have a nice easy tip of using a bin liner cut down one side then fed through to cover up the discs and callipers. 

I like this effect. They use a base coat of black then metallic silver over the top. Very similar to the colour I had in mind :)

I've been thinking of getting some of this Plasti dip stuff. I've read some great stuff about it and really does sound easy and gets good reviews. Going to use it to sort my old wheels that I took off - either for winter or to help sell. May even end up putting them back on since one of my TD's is buckled and struggling to get another.

• 5 months later...

Whhhhhat you let your wife drive the scoob.? ;)

Ehhee :D

BTW I need to refurbish my wheels :( The previous owner did a nasty work on them :(

After I wrap them in Plastidip. That will do the trick.

Could you recommend somebody to do the refurbish?

Ehhee :D

BTW I need to refurbish my wheels :( The previous owner did a nasty work on them :(

After I wrap them in Plastidip. That will do the trick.

Could you recommend somebody to do the refurbish?

I found someone in Crawley who came highly recommended. They sand blast, then repair, then three layers of paint then layer of lacquer. I think it was £65+vat a wheel! 

http://www.wheelworksuk.co.uk/faq.php#howlong

I've not used them yet but the guy on the phone was very helpful and gave me the impression they'd do a great job....just can't bring myself to spend 320ish (incl vat) for all four!

I found someone in Crawley who came highly recommended. They sand blast, then repair, then three layers of paint then layer of lacquer. I think it was £65+vat a wheel! 

I've not used them yet but the guy on the phone was very helpful and gave me the impression they'd do a great job....just can't bring myself to spend 320ish (incl vat) for all four!

I have Prodrive wheels so might worth it to get them done nicely. Thanks for the info ;)

I have Prodrive wheels so might worth it to get them done nicely. Thanks for the info ;)

ah yea nice. I was thinking I'd probably buy some 2nd hand prodrives instead of paying the £320 for tarting up boring standard wheels.

Are you a member of SurreyScoobies.co.uk ? Great set of guys with loads of local knowledge.

I had my 17"s blasted & powder coated... £200+vat (£240) include re fit and re balance too.

10888491846_4ed3947fa5_b.jpgral2009 edit by salsa-king, on Flickr

• Like 1

ah yea nice. I was thinking I'd probably buy some 2nd hand prodrives instead of paying the £320 for tarting up boring standard wheels.

Are you a member of SurreyScoobies.co.uk ? Great set of guys with loads of local knowledge.

Thanks for the info I'll have a look ;)
  • Like 1