What gears at what speed

CastAway Guy

Most people might think this is abit stupid but I am curious, the gear ratios are completely different to my previous car which I had for over 7 years.

My question is, at what rpm do you change your gears when driving casually ?

My second question is when cruising at about 30mph in a 30 zone ( call me sad but I don't want to kill a child ) what gear are you in ? I am unsure if I should be in 3rd or 4th. I don't want to over use 3rd but at the same time I don't want to put pressure on the engine by sitting in 4th with revs as low as 1.5k.

When in 3rd and 30mph I'm at 2k rpm when I switch to 4th at 30mph I'm at 1.5k rpm

Thanks

• Like 1

So when casually driving, try to keep the rpm at about 2k ? 1.5 seems low and I can only assume it's making the engine work harder then it actually needs too ? Also try to keep rpm below 3k because this is when the boost is kicking in ?

Thanks

Mine will hit 1bar @ 3.2k although it will make boost before that if I'm heavy on the throttle .

I do tend to use 4th for most town driving but, change down for inclines.

even though my 6 speed is a uk version 1 to 4 are a much shorter ratio than my uk 5 speed (im still getting used to the switch)

Tbo I'm probably not the best person to offer advice on economy and keeping of boost

as I bought and modded my scooby to give me smiles per gallon rather than mpg