Probably the same question all over and over again...

Martin959

What differences are between a WRX and an STI from the 97 (or 90s...)?

The block still the same, right? The only changes are in the turbo, and the gearbox... and suspension I believe...

If someone starts modding a WRX, can quickly become superior to an sti? (changing turbo, exhaust, air intake, etc...)

Thanks folks! :D

I think sti have updated diff,s prop shafts ,forged internals bigger tmic, better turbo ,and more

I think they recommend not taking a wrx over 330 bhp

But a sti will take 500 bhp For reliability reasons ,me thinks safely

• Like 1

Generally uk turbo's and wrxs are the same (bar trim and jdm have short ratio gearboxes)

Main advantages of buying a classic sti over a wrx or uk turbo are that the sti's have ...

Bigger turbos/ injectors

Forged pistons (good for 380 hp ish)

Better handling (30 mm lower with sports shocks)

Better trim /seats .

With just a decat , filter and remap you'd expect 290 ish from a good wrx .

With same mods on a sti your see more like 330 hp .

Due to internals , cams , turbo and injectors .

• Like 2

So, having an wrx, you can still buy a even better turbo than the sti, change the piston to forged ones (as far as I know the wrx also have forged ones...), buy some better suspension (hks maybe?)... right?

That's what I did [emoji6]

As I couldn't see the point paying the extra premium a sti commands and ruining a classic sti , when I wanted to build a forged engine and fit a 6 speed eventually .

If your aiming for over 350 hp you have to upgrade the classic drive train turbo , injectors and engine internals (to keep it reliable).

Newage is different story as the jdm sti bottom end will cope with 450 hp and the oe 6 speed will handle more than that .so just injector , turbo and cooling mods needed to break the 400 hp barrier [emoji6]

• Like 1

That's what I did [emoji6]

As I couldn't see the point paying the extra premium a sti commands and ruining a classic sti , when I wanted to build a forged engine and fit a 6 speed eventually .

If your aiming for over 350 hp you have to upgrade the classic drive train turbo , injectors and engine internals (to keep it reliable).

Newage is different story as the jdm sti bottom end will cope with 450 hp and the oe 6 speed will handle more than that .so just injector , turbo and cooling mods needed to break the 400 hp barrier [emoji6]

I have a CG8, its hard to make fit the 6 speed manual transmission? 

Thanks mate :D

Ok, so I found a gearbox, rear diff, etc. from an STI RA CG8 that will fit apparently according to the owner of the garage... what do you think guys? :) (its a 5 speed gearbox)

It will be a short ratio jdm box and if it's a late gc8 sti might even have dccd .

But it will only be good for the 350 hp mark . If you google your ty52... code on your existing gearbox you might find that it's the same ratio as your existing box and not have to change the diff .

Unless you want to upgrade the shafts and hubs to the r180 later gc8 set up

tbo I recon you'd be better off with a 5 speed bugeye box as they're known to handle slightly more power (390 hp ish ) and cost a 3rd of a 6 speed .

• Like 1

haha whats dccd? :P

Well... its quite cheap all, around 400 pounds including changing it, but you think that it wont handle more than 400 hp that one? I mean, its an STI RA gearbox... :P

Direct center control deferential allows you to control the power from front to back , but you have to fit its separate ecu , clocks, wiring and controller .

Sti ra's have been around since 95 so it depends on the age and condition of the box .

I turned my 5 speed into a 4 speed @ 3k running 330hp , but if your current box is knackered £400 fitted is a great price

I've been thinking about fitting a kinugawa turbo as they're made by kamak (they make the mitsi td series from new)

With that particular one you'd need to change the intake pipe as well cos the turbos got a 3" entry cover

I will have to buy another intake? Do you have any sample? :P

It's just the drilled suround around the entry to the turbo ( anti surge) . It makes the need for a bigger dia intake pipe. I think they sell 3 " intake pipes , but you might need to fit a catch can due to them not having as many breather take offs as the oe size ones [emoji6]

I was gonna drop them a email and get them to build one that suits my needs , but I can't afford it at the moment [emoji19]

Mabye a tdo5 18g , with a 7 cm hotside (like the oe tdo5 16g) with a billet wheel and upgraded journal bearing for a 2ltr fast road car with standard internals . I'd have thought that with the right upipe, that would spool nicely and hit 350 + hp . [emoji16][emoji33][emoji12]

• Like 1

It's just the drilled suround around the entry to the turbo ( anti surge) . It makes the need for a bigger dia intake pipe. I think they sell 3 " intake pipes , but you might need to fit a catch can due to them not having as many breather take offs as the oe size ones [emoji6]

I was gonna drop them a email and get them to build one that suits my needs , but I can't afford it at the moment [emoji19]

Mabye a tdo5 18g , with a 7 cm hotside (like the oe tdo5 16g) with a billet wheel and upgraded journal bearing for a 2ltr fast road car with standard internals . I'd have thought that with the right upipe, that would spool nicely and hit 350 + hp . [emoji16][emoji33][emoji12]

Did you saw this on eBay.co.uk?  :rolleyes: can you shaaaaaaaaare the link....  :rolleyes:  :D  :P

No I haven't seen it for sale just looked through all of their tdo range and took the most suitable bits and made a list .

They do build bespoke turbos or have options that can be added to their range .

They're fairly helpful from what I've read , but I've also heard of people being hit with a import tax bill .As with all things imported if their not marked up in your favor [emoji6]

• Like 1