engine codes?

i'm confused :wacko:  whats the crack with these engine codes? will an ej201 replace an ej202 without any problems or need to change summat? my m8 's telling me that the first bit is what counts...the ej20 but i would like to know before the courier sets off tomorrow?

hmm im not sure to be honest but I would suspect that you will have extra sensors on the dohc engine and these would be picked up by the ecu.

so to be safe I would buy the same engine as your taking out m8.

They should fit but as Odessey said there may be some additional wiring to deal with.

At this point though I would stick with a like for like replacement that way at least you are back on the road

i cancelled that engine and was lucky enough to find the exact same engine as mine :D, cost £400 but low mileage and most ancillaries left on so worth the extra,

i'm glad i asked on here now,i feel better about this already so thanx for your advice guys ;)

• Like 1

sounds like its going to be an easy straight swap - possibly with some bits to sell on and offset the expense, and you have the old engine which may or may not be salvageable - all very positive

well so far so good anyway, like you say jay-it should be a straight swap, 

i get the engine on saturday and its fitted on monday, should i prepare it in any way prior to fitting? will anything be easier while the engine is out?

if you are just planning normal use I agreed with Gambit wrt belts possibly check / replace water pump + spark plugs.

for more spirited stuff I would consider uprated oil pump and sump baffle

just normal use for me, will get the degreaser on the case as i do like a car to look cared for, but not quite ocd as i'm an angler and that would be a nightmare :rolleyes:

i just hope i can get the mpg down aswell, i don't know if the big ends play a part in it but it certainly likes a drink, will a 'remap' help bring the mpg down after the swap?

No that will be the shoes you drive in :) AWD will drink a bit more then a FWD car say. But if the injectors was a bit dirty over the newer one you might see a small increase. But I'm guessing will be about the same. Sorry to say :)

oh well, i've prob noticed it more after driving diesel's for the last 10 years, getting up and running gotta be my main concern for now

i'll keep y'all posted how things go,

:)

some good news, the guy who's fitting the engine is a bit bogged down with work(sign of a good mechanic?) and will be fitting it tomorrow, but while i've been waiting i've been reading thru forums and decided to do the 'oil pump mod' while the engine is still out,my good luck was to find a brand spanking OEM timing belt, this made me look deeper and i believe this engine had JUST had it's major service at subaru, everything clean and tidy. Result :D

so far so good, hope i ain't jinxed it-lol :)

naaaaaaaaaah I think you have given a well deserved bit of tlc to something that needed a new lease of life  ;)

• Like 1