Newbie From Kent

Settez

Hey,

I'm currently an EP3 Type R owner thinking of moving to Subaru and interested in learning the pros and cons and common faults etc before buying anything.

At the moment the WRX estate/wagon is what has my interest so any info people can fire my way would be interest.

Cheers guys

Settez

wotcha and welcome - as with most Japanese cars a well maintained scooby can run for many years with no trouble, there are some issues with recent legacy diesels, allegedly due to misaligned gearboxes on assembly. There have also been some engine failures with the 2008 - 2010 2.5l sti engines (ringland failure) caused by sustained high rev running on the standard maps. Motors that have been remapped to 330bhp had the different parameters added to stop the lean running at high revs. Petes mate also had a failure due to low oil levels :rolleyes:

pros - great handling and fun to drive with addictive turbo rush - cons frequent visits to garage and tyre supplier :)

we have a buying guide here

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

• Like 1

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C feel free to ask away if you have anymore question apologies for the late reply bunch of us was at Japfest 2 yesterday. But think Jay's covered it all for you. He's a good cookie ;) 

Cheers man appreciate your reply. I'm very much in the early stages of looking and am pretty clueless on all things turbo as I've been a honda na fanboy for years. I'm not really even sure what model/year to be aiming at if I'm honest.

How is servicing on these engines? Still an easy job to do on your driveway?

Most jobs are doable on the drive way. Don't really need any special tools, a good jack, axle stands (best to have four axle stands).

I've swapped exhausts, suspension, discs, callipers and even had the engine out on the drive way.

Biggest job is prob replacing clutch and would say get a pro to do it, as it is a massive job to do, have to remove a fair few bits from the engine bay along with prop shaft, drive shafts and gearbox.

They are not any harder to work on than "normal" cars. It's just that the engine bay is pretty cramped so access is the biggest issue.

• Like 1

That's good to know mate, thank you, I'm handy with a set of spanners and there's not much I haven't done on my Hondas so hopefully the transition should be too bad. I do dread doing the plugs though... Think that might be a job I palm off on a pro to save my knuckles!

Getting the urge to make the move sooner rather than later, just need to strip some bits on my civic and then I think I may be havjng a serious look round the for sale section hunting for a wagon. Need the Subaru sound in my life