Rear suspension thoughts

nickp

Hi, I've had my Forester for a couple of years now - it's registered at the beginning of '02 but because there's a 00 in the VIN I assume it was made in 2000.  It has 128K miles on the clock and I'm very fond of it,. I note that there is a difference in height at the back making it always look like it is well loaded. I'm wondering about the rear suspension although as far as I can remember it was always like that since I bought it.

It has just passed the MOT with no problem and there's no trace of wallowing. Both sides appear the same. Using the jacking points as a very rough position, there is about 1.5 inches less at the rear.

Before I get involved in the obvious expense of replacement springs etc.,   is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks, Nick

post-2783-0-99040900-1408306369_thumb.jp

Failed SLS struts.

Have a read of thread below for guideline on what involved.

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/7216-2005-forester-xt-rear-sls-unit-leaking/

Not that expensive even if need a garage to fit. Parts around £280ish tops with springcoil springs & can be under £200 if pick up excel G shocks with K-flex spings off eBay at close to half of RRP & cheaper than most autofactors.

Can be left but best done really if intending keep vehicle for some time, won't drop any more as about 50mm is max travel of the levelling function in the strut ...

• Like 1

agree with Mr B, shocks are shot. i had the same with my 2003 XS back in Australia. the only thing i wonder about is that you still can drive her and not feeling any sweeping from the back when driving over bumps at speed  :huh:

MOT  :lol:  here in the UK they don't have shock test ramps as in other countries. compared with some other countries the UK MOT is a joke IMHO

Yes MOT here is a bit slack on struts & springs, visual issues such as this should be failed really & 12 year old cars should have more inspection on this unless documented or visually new units fitted.

I think your Fozzy deserves new struts & springs, looks tidy & it got plenty of life left yet ...

I'm in the process of doing mine this week. Good indicator or how dead they are is to lift the rear arch by hand and let go not very scientific but you get the idea. Or get a tape measure and go from the inner lower edge of the rim to the body work.

Not sure about your ride hieght at standard but mines 660mm

Currently measuring 610mm :-(

Which ever bod changed mine they only did one side so its the other one thats had it. tut tut !

It's not so noticable on mine as they stuck spring spacers on it

Many thanks guys, I had that sneaking suspicion but glad to have some knowledgeable back up. I'll get it sorted as I aim to keep her for as many years as I can, :)

Many thanks guys, I had that sneaking suspicion but glad to have some knowledgeable back up. I'll get it sorted as I aim to keep her for as many years as I can, :)

Good idea. KYB excel G struts can be had at little under £60 a strut, Monroe & Sachs also do struts.

The struts are basically replacements for non sls so you are converting to non sls & must change springs to non sls too.

Couple of threads for SF & SG forester on rear suspension & linked to SG already. Labour on that would be 1hr to 1hr 30min really as quite simple job for a garage & even an easy DIY job for those who get hands on with their cars & have half decent tools.

• Like 1

Good idea. KYB excel G struts can be had at little under £60 a strut, Monroe & Sachs also do struts.

The struts are basically replacements for non sls so you are converting to non sls & must change springs to non sls too.

Couple of threads for SF & SG forester on rear suspension & linked to SG already. Labour on that would be 1hr to 1hr 30min really as quite simple job for a garage & even an easy DIY job for those who get hands on with their cars & have half decent tools.

This is an interesting thread.Sorry if im hijacking your post but I also want to do away with my sls rear suspension.Where is the ebst place to get non sls suspension struts from.Is there a certain model of car I have to get them from and can I fit lowering springs to these as well.

This is an interesting thread.Sorry if im hijacking your post but I also want to do away with my sls rear suspension.Where is the ebst place to get non sls suspension struts from.Is there a certain model of car I have to get them from and can I fit lowering springs to these as well.

KYB, Sachs, Monroe & Pedders do struts. Can be sourced from eBay & local autofactors.

Dropping too low on standard struts will cause strut bottom out to easily so shortened struts should be used if dropping height a lot.

Quality custom sprigs can be had from springcoil.co.uk.

had this with mine & passed MOT fine, SLS shocks failing.

I changed mine for Pedders individual shocks & springs, however don't just change the shocks like i did as the SLS springs are softer & it will still sit low, the Pedders coil spring is uprated & stiffer.

Mines been fitted for a good few months & worked it hard & I'm still happy with it.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2003 Forester 2.0 x it has sls and the best thing you can do is try and find some breaking a 2005/6 and by the sls struts from them, my sls rear pass side started leaking but the ride hight never dropped.

I bought Monroe units from CAS the w--ker behind the counter tells me he has sold loads of these units to forester owners and never had one back.

I can tell you he was full of ****, none of those units work they are none sls and when fitted drop the !Removed! of the car by some 50 mm or more the front of the car was in the air and the rear like it had an tonne in the back, the pedders units which are some times on eBay do work as replacements but they are not quite as high at the !Removed! end as the standard sls units and they won't take a load in the back like the sls will.

I found a company on eBay called subaruforesters they are in Bilston the guy to speak to is Ivan he found a 2006 forester with sls and sent me the struts they are better made than the early ones having been assembled with better seals and better springs, the springs you can get on eBay for the other struts do not work they may have more coils but the thickness is tiny so the !Removed! end sags.

Since I have had the replacement struts on my 03 the ride is better it handles more weight and goes round corners better than it ever did, so would say try and get sls from an 05/06 and fit them also he only wanted £200 quid for the struts.

Paul